Review: Gosling's Gold Rum

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!

How do you rate Gosling's Gold Rum as a sipper (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Gosling's Gold Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Gosling's Gold Bermuda Rum: "Simply Simple Light Sipper"

Sue Sea and I have always enjoyed the famous Gosling's Black Seal, mostly as the rum ingredient of the equally famous "Dark and Stormy". And it's not a bad sipper either, garnering a "6". It was one of the first five or ten rums that made it to our shelves (which are now MUCH heavier). Heavy enough that Gosling's Gold remained absent. But when I recently ran across a nice 50ml, a tasting ensued.

Now, you no doubt intuited from the title that Gosling's Gold is not amazing. It is not. But nor is it bad. First, let's share the reviews...

Sue Sea:
Gosling's Gold Bermuda Rum comes in an unpretentious standard clear glass bottle with a gold and red see-through label featuring a red (?) sailing ship. Not terribly attractive. And neither was the rum. The aroma was actually hard to find. My first impression was of a light oak and caramel, which quickly faded to a very light oak and just a bit of honey (which doesn't have all that much aroma in the first place). Another few moments and even that is gone, leaving behind little more than alcohol. The Gold's taste opens with light honey sweetness, then moves to oak and transitions to a short and unremarkable but smooth peppery finish.

What should I say about this rum? It's smooth and mellow, and I guess it qualifies as a basic simple light sipper. I find most fine rums emerge with time in the glass, with more aromas and tastes becoming apparent. Gosling's Gold is just the opposite. What little aroma it has disappears, and so does the taste. The finish does not encourage more exploration, it simply ends as unremarkably as the rest.

I don't even think this would make a good mixer - there is simply not enough going on. So I'm leaving this one as a simple, light and unremarkable sipper.
Me:

Sue Sea and I are in complete accord on this one. Gosling's Gold Bermuda Rum is a clear gold with quick, thin legs. Gold opens with a light and sweet oak. The early palate opens sweet, moves to light oak, finishes short and peppery. A light, smooth nothing ensues. I wouldn't waste your money on a rum that is neither a great sipper nor mixer.

Rating (10 is best): 5.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.