Best mai tai rum combo yet!

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
Hassouni
Minor God

Best mai tai rum combo yet!

Post by Hassouni »

Finally DC gets warm and sunny weather on a weekend, so I just had to celebrate it with a mai tai, and thanks to one of my buddies on eGullet, I now have the perfect rum blend - equal parts Smith & Cross and Barbancourt 8.

Also, 1 oz lime juice, 1/2 oz homemade orgeat, ditto Senior Curaçao, and 1/4 oz 2:1 simple syrup

I suspect Barbancourt 15 would take it far into the "17 year old Wray & Nephew" category, but alas I haven't got a bottle of the B15.

Capn's Log: Of course I will defer to Beachbum Berry and his original Trader Vic's recipe; however I will point out that this recipe calls for an "amber" Martinique (cane juice rum). With this in mind you might do better with the Barbancourt Three Star which would be more in line with the intent.
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

Post by Mrspragoo »

Last evening I tried my hand at making my first Mai Tai using the recipe I found on Beach Bum Berry's site. His recipe called for appleton extra which I have plenty of, and rhum Clement vsop which I did not have, so I substituted barbanacort 8year. Well my wife loved it, and I too found it to be a refreshing treat enjoyed by the campfire.
I also have a good supply of smith and cross so I will try that tonight as we are planning another evening by the fire.

Thanks for the idea.

P.s. after the mai tai's I finished out my evening with el dorado 12 neat.

John (mrspragoo)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Now that's a rum day...

It's true enough that Berry's recipe is a bit pricey, in particular the Clement VSOP for the cane juice element. Barbancourt is an excellent alternative, but not the 8 year, in which the cane has been subdued. Remember that VSOP is only four years old, which is much more equated with Barbancourt's Three Star (also four years old).

B's Five Star - 8 years - to us anyway is too developed.
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

Post by Mrspragoo »

Actually I noticed your note at the bottom of the original post after I posted. When I have a chance to get some of the younger barbanicort I will pick it up and give it a try. Thanks