Rum Review: R. L. Seale's 10 Year Rum

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!

How do you rate R. L. Seale's 10 Year Rum (5 is best)?

75%
19%
6%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 16

sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Tell Richard we want barrel proof - even if it's just a short run special edition to test the market.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

He has one coming out soon in the US the mark IV. If I recall its a barrel proof 53% pot still 11 year old rum.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Foursquare 2004 Single Blended. A blend of column and Pot still product, 8yrs in Bourbon Barrels bottled at full barrel proof, 59%.
Yes indeed - I have burned through three of them so far. Damn good juice. It will be a limited release but definitely worth the effort to get your hands on a couple of bottles.

Because I Prefer a spirit with a bit more grip and intensity, it would be nice if the standard shelf R.L. Seale was something like 50 or 55%.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

sailor22, are you importing the Foursquare 2004 or have you found it in the US?
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

I'm buying from England Nomad. They should be available in the US any day now. The bottles for the west coast had cleared customs and were at the distributor two weeks ago. Don't expect a wide release, they will only be available in select shops on the west and east coast. Seale's other products are available via Total Wine in Fla but this product is being handled differently so I don't know what shops are likely to carry some in Fla.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

sailor22 wrote:I'm buying from England Nomad. They should be available in the US any day now. The bottles for the west coast had cleared customs and were at the distributor two weeks ago. Don't expect a wide release, they will only be available in select shops on the west and east coast. Seale's other products are available via Total Wine in Fla but this product is being handled differently so I don't know what shops are likely to carry some in Fla.
Thanks! When it shows up at any of the US stores that ship, I'll be in for a few.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Nomad wrote:
sailor22 wrote:I'm buying from England Nomad. They should be available in the US any day now. The bottles for the west coast had cleared customs and were at the distributor two weeks ago. Don't expect a wide release, they will only be available in select shops on the west and east coast. Seale's other products are available via Total Wine in Fla but this product is being handled differently so I don't know what shops are likely to carry some in Fla.
Thanks! When it shows up at any of the US stores that ship, I'll be in for a few.
Just a follow up on this. The bottles have hit the US, they seem quite limited. I don't think the US got a huge allotment. I was able to get the two from one online retailer and the rest sold out in a few days. There are some other places that still have a few bottles but many stores already sold out of what they had. If you still want a few I would probably get them now.

It's a single blended 11 year old at 59%.

I was hoping to order the 11 year and the zin cask in one swoop, but that was not in the cards. Zin cask has not hit US stores yet. It seems that the 11 year will be sold out by the time it does.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Well I got my rum shipment. I got 6 bottles from the retailer that I frequent about 4 times a year, 2 of the 2004 foursquare. Its sad to say that their still is corking issues with this rum. Both leaked in transit again like the port finish rum. One leaked slightly maybe 1 oz. The other lost about 3 oz in shipment I would estimate. Given the 2004's cost and ABV it sucks. The rum might be good but in the honesty dept Foursquare needs to improve their US bottle corking. No issues at all with any other bottles ordered in those shipments. I have ordered 100s of bottles of spirits online and these foursquare are the only to ever leak.

see attached photo:

GregS
Greaser

Post by GregS »

I had R.L. Seale 10 year for the first time today. It tastes exactly like rum is supposed to taste like. I couldn't really taste anything specific in it. But to me it has a pretty strong alcohol taste and smell to it. For me it has a pretty strong burn to it.

The price is right and I'll get it again. I'm pretty new to rum, so I may need to let my palate grow some first before really trying it again. I'll be using this bottle for mixing. In a little while I'll try it again to see if my palate has evolved.
Rum newbie interested in experiencing what the world of rum has to offer.
RumRatings profile