Rum Review: Cohiba Rum 8 Year Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Cohiba Rum 8 Year Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Cohiba Rum 8 Year Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Cohiba Rum 8 Year Rum: "Pepper Licorice"

You get to the point where you've tasted most of the leading rums and have developed some definite preferences. What remains are the hard to find, the rare, the unusual, the cheap! And as the Compleat Idiot around here I have a particular attraction to these, particularly when the price is very, very right.

Cohiba Rum is available in these parts in three versions: white, gold, and aged. Some would call them cheap, and lord knows they look cheap. Low cost, ill fitting and tattered labels and prices that might lead some managers to make this a bottom shelf offering. There are very few 8 year rums available under twenty bucks...

But Cohiba Rum 8 Year, at $18.95 is one of them. This and its commonplace, even cheap appearance led me for the longest time, to completely avoid this rum. Yet some rumblings and my natural curiosity drew me to take a chance. Was this a great find? Or were we sorely disappointed? The reviews:

Sue Sea:
Any of you who follow my reviews know that I truly enjoy the total experience. I love a fine bottle, interesting label and presentation. Tasting is a whole experience, from low light to our special tasting glasses and having the time to spend. In this regard, Cohiba 8 Year was a let down. The bottle is ordinary and sports an amateurish label that wouldn't have earned even a "C" in my art class. If anticipation is half the game, Cohiba was already losing and I wasn't expecting much.

Jim poured me an ounce and a pleasant, but very different and unique aroma became apparent. Very unlike most of the rums we taste. I immediately noted a musty oak, corklike aroma, over a background of a peppery deep orange and licorice. Touch of vanilla. Unlike most rums, I found this medium bodied rum displayed an early fiery palate of hot pepper, moving into a nice licorice. The finish was long, chest warming and peppery. Cohiba 8 Year left a nice black cherry aftertaste.

All in all, I was VERY surprised by this rum. Cohiba is quite different and unlike most rums you will taste. It is a smooth, non complex rum that is really done well.

Me:

Like Sue Sea, I too was very surprised by Cohiba 8 Year, but let's get right to it. Cohiba's aroma presents with the musty oak per Sue Sea, but the background of deep orange, licorice and vanilla almost immediately comes forth, thus creating a unified and unique effect. Add a bit of sour leather.

Aside: after our first whiffs of Cohiba, I left Sue Sea for the kitchen to get some cool water when she shouted out "Jimbo! Is this rum from the Dominican Republic?". I damn near dropped the glasses, as I happened to know that it was. And Sue Sea has never - ever - made an observation like this. "Why do you ask?" I replied. "It's got a musty deep aroma that comes back on you, like some of the other Dominicans we've tasted".

Shocked I confirmed her observation and she then joined me in mutual amazement. Back to the tasting...

Unlike Sue Sea I found the early palate smooth but not peppery. Yet. The midpalate was completely consistent with the aroma and led to a nice hot, long pepper finish. Cohiba 8 Year leaves a pleasant leathery black cherry aftertaste.

In sum I found Cohiba powerfully pleasant, a unique rum that is a very good value and worthy addition to your collection.

Ratings (10 is best): 7.

Addenda: Some months later we tried the Cohiba 8 Year once again - for Sue Sea it was a blind tasting. Our tasting was consistent, as was our scoring (actually SS came up 1/2 point to join me at a "7"). I found the Cohiba remarkably pleasant and smooth.

This time Sue Sea found a "ripe banana" - which we agreed is very similar to a black licorice. I found a "cacao", just as pleasant as in Matusalem's lovely Gran Reserva.

Please keep in mind this rum is no longer made...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me!

It was recently brought to my attention that I have been severely castigated by a gent who fancies himself the "Rum Runner" over at Preacher Ed's joint:
"Are counterfeits possible in rum? Absolutely...I'm surprised you have not picked up upon the recent news that a Las Vegas "entrepreneur" was shut down for counterfeiting the "Cohiba" trademark on a rum bottle.

A self described "compleat idiot" on some other forum actually reviewed "Cohiba" rum after finding it for under $20 (nothing wrong with that), but failed to pick up upon the fact that it was being closed out because it had been shut down by a Court decision."
Gee, you see I was operating under the impression that I was reviewing rums, not engaging in Lexis searches. Actually I'm quite aware of Cohiba's legal status. I'm surprised the "Rum Runner" (say, isn't rum running illegal?) didn't post the findings of fact and conclusions of law on this one.

Without that, it's hard to rate the judge, lol...

And I have a suggestion for Mr. Rum Runner - if you're gonna cite me, at least be accurate and do include the expected link. It's the "Compleat Idiot". Or for you "Mr. Compleat Idiot, Sir". I certainly don't want to be confused with ordinary idiots such as yourself...
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

I'm looking at picking up a bottle that is being listed at $10 online. I'm looking forward to tasting it if it is, in fact, available. It looks like I will be getting 2 bottles at just under $10 each :lol: . Anyone interested in the spare?

Of course, shipping is nearly 2/3rds of the sale price! :shock: Oh well, I don't regret it.

Capn's Log: Good for you, cheep thrills and a decent enough rum.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Both bottles showed up tonight, after an initial attempt for delivery last Friday.

Black label with gold accents mimicking the label of Cohiba of Havana, SA. Label on the back says "Public notice Cohiba Caribbena's Finest Rum has never been affiliated in any manner with any cigar manufacturer using the name Cohiba." No, really? :roll: "As we all know some of the finest rum in the world comes from the Caribbean. Data Commodities" (the company that was running out of Las Vegas, NV) "is producing a premium quality rum in the true tradition of the Caribbean."

Listed as being distilled in the Dominican Republic, bottle by Island Imports, in my old stomping ground of San Jose, CA 95133....which, conveniently, is shared with Frank-Lin Distillers Products, Inc, although there was a note of their moving to Fairfield, CA on their website when one checks out the careers link http://www.frank-lin.com/spirits.html .

Good news is they are the importers for Prichard's rums into California!

The name on label on the neck says "Cohiba Caribbean's Finest rum" smaller print below that is "CCF one of the finest rums you can find anywhere".

An initial nosing finds a whiff of a chemical/saccharine note, but nothing offensive. Ripe banana also noted.

Nothing spectacular if tried neat although as noted by Sue Sea it is not harsh and is in fact rather smooth, probably better for mixing with imo.