A New Order: A Question of Blending

Coffee, cigars and rum go togther like priests and choirboys. Indeed the brothers are known to have a tipple now and then. Oh and some rum, cigars and Belgian beer as well, lol...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A New Order: A Question of Blending

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Check this one out, Sleepy...

1. Burundi-Ethiopia Coop Blend SWP Decaf

"This coffee has developed sweetness and aroma, and with a complex berry-like acidity. It cups best in the light to medium roast ranges - Full City+ roasts compromise the sweetness focusing more on developed roast flavors. Great brewed and Full City will make for a great decaf espresso. SO Espresso. City to Full City."

2. Brazil Pulp Natural Fazenda do Sertao

"Approachable cup of Brazil, relatively basic in flavor, and even of the slightly rustic nature. Expect developed sugar sweetness, roasted nut, and cacao/cocoa finish. This is a bodied cup, inky and thick, and will perform well as espresso or blend component. City+ to Full City+. SO Espresso."

3. Ethiopia Dry Process Gr. 1 Yirga Cheffe Konga

Bright, especially for a natural, and with clean fruit notes and sweetness. Peach, chocolate strawberry, lychee fruit, and spiced teas - this one cups with much complexity, especially in the City+ roast range. This bodied, complex coffee more than holds its own on the cupping table and makes for a wild ride in the espresso machine. City+ to Full City. SO Espresso.

I know you've spoken to the Yirga Cheffe before, and indeed it was pretty darn nice. Any thoughts on 1. and 2. (although it's too late)?

Thanks...

BTW, Sue Sea and I have both been advised to cut back our caffeine - but the best I can do is 50/50 decaf/regular. So we'll be using 1. obviously for the decaf in two different 50/50 blends with 2. and with 3.

Any thoughts on roast levels or blending these?
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Cap, I can't offer a great deal of advice here - even though my BP would appreciate a lower caffeine intake, the ones that I've tried tend toward the thin and bitter. I hope yours is better - I like the idea of going half-caff.

For the decaf portion, it might be good to go with a fairly neutral coffee - Brazilian or bulk Colombian - might be worth a try next time. Blend it with a full-flavored variety and it might be good.

Given my experience, if I were to try a semi-caff blend, I'd tend toward a robust Guatemalan or Island (Sumatra/Sulawesi) to cover the deficiencies of the decaf.

One thing I need to point out about Yirgas - they are MONUMENTALLY variable. This year, I've had four different varieties - one was among the best coffees I've ever tasted, two were outstanding and the third? More "fragrant" than a proverbial French whorehouse from green, to in the roaster and in the bag after roasting - less stinky brewed, but UGHHH! I've never encountered anything remotely like it. Hope yours is better!