Hello from NY...the state not the city

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

Hello from NY...the state not the city

Post by Mrspragoo »

Hello my name is John, and i have a developing love for rum.

I am from a rural area of western upstate NY, known as the Finger Lakes region. Growing up when someone said rum you either had a choice of Bacardi, or Captain Morgan, or perhaps something along the lines of Mr Boston clear. Thats is all there was.

A couple years ago my wife and i went on our first Caribbean trip, to Jamaica. While we were there we took the time to tour the Appleton Estate Distillery. At the end of the tour they began talking about the different rums that were available, and when they started talking about rums that were supposed to enjoyed neat, and if someone intended on mixing them they would prefer that you didnt buy them. Well this intrigued me and i picked up a bottle of V/X, and Extra (12) and brought them home with me. In the privacy of my back deck on a warm summer evening with a good friend ( who considers himself to be a wine snob) I opened the V/X and we were both amazed at how good this was. The next opportunity we had we opened the Extra (12), and well I was hooked, I had found my drink of choice, and that is where i stopped

Until..

This last spring we took our second Caribbean trip, this time to Barbados. When doing research on things to do while we were there i discovered Mount Gay, and couldnt wait till i got there to see how that would compare to my Extra. Well it turned out that the resort we stayed at also had a rum bar, and i was able to sample, RL Seals 10, Mount Gay XO, Mount Gay 1703, Doorlys XO, and several others.
Well this blew my mind that there were so many rums out there worth my attention, and so began my search for information about rum. As i learn more, i try more, and have started my own personal collection.
and this is why i am here.

Thanks,
John (mrspragoo)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome John...

Let me be the first to welcome you, and thanks for your length intro. The Project is for all those with a legit interest in rum, spirits and a few other things too. If you have any suggestions, feel free. If you agree or disagree, feel free.

Together we have the chance to influence the many, many readers who stop by but don't post, so what you say will be read by thousands.

Again, welcome...