Welcome to the Suds Section!

The problem with beer was that it wouldn't survive a long voyage, ergo rum and other distilled spirits. Still, beer later became a wondrous thing, with each community having its own unique brewery and style. We were loyal! That changed, but of late, Craft Brewing appeared and gone mad - with over 3000 of the buggers and 100's of weekly new releases, ergo a blood, er beerbath is in the offing. Until then - this section...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome to the Suds Section!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

This isn't the official welcome...

...but it'll have to do for now. Sue Sea and I love our beers, to the point that I actually purchased a beer kit to make a stout the equal of her beloved Guinness. Turns out this is possibly and as the cheepskate and tinkerer I am, a perfect project. The only real issue:

It's hot here, and fermenting could be an issue. We'll see. But as for craft knowledge, count me out. Yes, we've tried some Belgians, Porters, et al. My ex-wife was German so Octoberfest was attended. I liked Moosehad, Rolling Rock and a few others - all preceeding the craft movement.

The problem now is no longer selection - just the opposite. Selection is damn difficult and seriously, can be offputting. Sam of Doghead predicts a coming bloodbath which even Total Wine may welcome.

A request and offer...

Now if any of you good men and women love beer and know it better than we (which won't be hard), a moderator is in order. A resident expert like da'Rum for pipes, or Sleepy for coffee - to whom we can pose our questions and look for guidance.

Meanwhile, let's raise a cold one to this section...

Update: Bearmark has volunteered his expert services and his offer was gratefully accepted. Please refer to the real welcome, following.