angostura cask collection #1

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

angostura cask collection #1

Post by Mrspragoo »

found this on a store shelf when i was in Chicago recently. I dont know anything about it other than it is supposed to be a limited release in the U.S. (9600 bottles). Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

p.s. i am not tech savvy enough to be able to figure out how to add a pic to my post.

thanks
John (mrspragoo)
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Hello John,

I have tasted this product and as much as I appreciate Angostura's origins as a Trini rum company, I was somewhat disappointed with this particular product, and how I perceive it must have been made.

The idea here was to showcase the effects of a 1st-fill bourbon cask to rum, but.... It is extremely sweet, and the aromas quite honestly suggest that their origin is not in the 1st-fill bourbon cask, but rather a few bottles of artificial (vanilla) essences, or a cask treated with such essences. It also contains a fair bit of added sugar (when it was in Alko's listings earlier on this year, I actually saw the amount, but cannot recall how much - at least 20G/litre if memory serves me right), which may be responsible partly for this "vanillaish" essence-like taste. :-(

I base my judgement on my past experience and knowledge of what 1st fill bourbon casks give a spirit in terms of taste. It is not entirely what I taste in this rum, sadly - but of course, since manufacturer says differently, I may be entirely wrong as well.