Rum Review: 1 Barrel From Belize

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate "1 Barrel" (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
No votes
100%
No votes

Total votes: 1

MJL
Oscar

Rum Review: 1 Barrel From Belize

Post by MJL »

This is a hard to find rum and is not to be found in most everyday liquor stores. If you can hunt down a bottle you will be rewarded. I consider this to be one of the all time bargains in rum

NAME: 1 Barrel

PRICE: $14.99-$17.99

COLOR: Amber to light clover honey in appearance

NOSE: Soft, rum, alcohol, butterscotch, Carmel, flan, Carmel apples

TASTE: Forcing the 1 Barrel through the front teeth onto the tongue creates a very pleasant buttery sensation that develops into a much more complex taste eventually ending with a long pronounced pecan pralines taste that is soft, sweet and wonderful.

AFTERTASTE: Lingering, lasting at least a minute with multiple creamy flavors developing

FINAL THOUGHTS: Wow! What a wonderful rum. All this flavor and for under $20. This is a complex rum for the drinker who has the time and palette to appreciate the complexity it is able to produce. Do not mix or dilute this rum. This is a real "sleeper" bargain. Highly recommended if you can find it.

Note: Sue Sea and I have also reviewed this rum (here), with a very different result..
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Now we're gonna have to taste this one!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Now we're gonna have to taste this one!

"1 Barrel" from Belize has been one of those rums that Sue Sea and I were going to get around to real soon now, bout any minute. Of course that was months and months ago.

This is a fine review by MJL, obviously a person who appreciates fine rum. A nice accessible description that confirms what I've heard about this rum. And it goes without saying that I have a particular attraction to lower priced rums of exceptional quality. Again, thanks for the great review. Sue Sea and I hope to add ours...

Real soon now, any second (except this time we mean it)...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Oh my!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ooops! Not so fast, masked man!

Sue Sea and I were so impressed with this review (and with some other scuttlebutt) that I felt obligated to buy it.

Home it came and what a surprise!

Those of you who are considering this must - must - must check our review and make up your own mind. Let it be said that although we generally agree with MJL on his reviews, our experience with "1 Barrel" was very, very different.

So different that if this were a BTI tasting, the judges would be asked to taste it again to eliminate the outliers. I've asked MJL to retaste 1 Barrel with us to see if we can resolve our different impressions.

Link to our "1 Barrel" Review