Gaza: the final score (this time)

Bet you never thought you'd see this one on a respectable forum. But this forum is hardly respectable, and neither is rum! This section is for the forbidden: rum and religion, politics and sex. Here's to Frank Zappa and Catholic Girls!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Gaza: the final score (this time)

Post by Capn Jimbo »

By the numbers...

Gaza:

2100 dead (mostly civilians), including
500 childen
17,000 homes
600,000 (1/3 of the population) displaced

The infrastructure: crippled, with very limited access to any water (and certainly not clean), electricity and the like. Not to mention completely destroyed schools, hospitals, retirement homes, factories, farms, mosques, and off limits UN structures. Estimated 10 or more years to rebuild.

Israel:

64 military
5 civilians
1 child
200 (est) families relocated

A handful of homes and small structures.
The infrastructure: untouched and unchanged. The United State even replaced all the ammunition and weapons used to destroy Gaza. Business as usual.

The end result: Israel was forced to give back and reinstate the concessions made in 2012, and has suffered a major setback in world opinion of what many consider war crimes on a small captive population.

This was not a war; it was a bloodbath.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I it's a definite shame about Gaza. It's almost as bad in Ukraine and not forgetting Lybia they are still at it.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Totally agree.

It's horrible that Palestine had to pay such a heavy price for it, but in the long run, Israel's drop in international support over this last move (despite all the blatant and transparent efforts of US media to obfuscate and black out the accuracy of the situation) may ultimately help Palestinians achieve the eventual support they have long deserved.

I hope Israel does get found officially guilty by the UN international court of war crimes. Not only for their own image, but also so that the US finally has to wear it publically that it is a supporter and facilitator of a nation clearly engaged in war crimes.

It's frustrating, embarrassing, and even worse because it's completely unnecessary.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Even in Israel...

Who do you think said this?
"The paradox is that most of what Netanyahu, Ya'alon and Gantz said yesterday was correct. Yes, Hamas did take a very bad blow. Yes, the IDF did have many achievements. Yes, Hamas had no achievement in this war. But yes, we too, in the meantime, have achieved nothing.

It could have been expected that the State of Israel, with the IDF, the GSS [security service], the Mossad, the Air Force and the best intelligence in the world, could have defeated Hamas, or at least dictated the pace of events and the timetable. In reality, Hamas dictated them."
While Netanyahu was strutting and declaring absolute victory, 54% of the Israeli population strongly disagreed. The above quote is from a leading Israeli newspaper, the Ma'ariv.

This whole event is tragic beyond words - no winners whatever, and no serious or effective movement toward peace. Apparently this is the world in which we hope to live and love...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I think I'd even be a little bit more hopeful to hear that 54% of we in North America could muster a strong opinion about anything, much less that our military actions are, even sometimes, deplorable.

I wonder when the last time was that 54% of North Americans took enough interest in their government or military's actions to have a strong opinion, and more specifically and importantly a noble one that was against violence and/or intolerance?

It feels like a very long time, and I think, even as the Gaza massacre is fresh in recent history, it would be very depressing indeed to do a street interview asking even the most basic questions of what happened over there.

Heavy stuff. And this boat has no rum. You'll have to have one for me.