My name is Paul, and I have an additive problem

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
The Black Tot
Admiral

My name is Paul, and I have an additive problem

Post by The Black Tot »

Greetings,

Welcome ye to my first post.

I found The Rum Project recently, as a result of my trying to figure out why some old bottles of Pusser's Blue taste so much better than the ones I had been buying recently.

After a few nights of reading around, I have come to the realization - simultaneously horrifying and yet we must also say liberating - that up until now, what I thought was my rum expertise and awareness is actually more clearly defined as a wide awareness of adulterated, jacked-up, and commercially successful rums - the majority of which have been commercially successful for all the wrong reasons. Reasons I have already long despised in other commodity markets.

I'm not going to waste time being ashamed of having been duped. I did the best I could with what I knew at the time, and did not have the benefit of better guidance.

But NOW, here I am on The Rum Project Forum. In the coming weeks I expect to be regaling you all with questions worthy of the Compleat Idiot baton, and exploring the deepest realities of rum.

I have learned that the best way to learn about things is to befriend an expert - and, of course and in turn, be worthy of that friendship.

My two bases of operation are Houston, TX and Caterham, UK. I am a sailor by trade, which unfortunately means my life is dry for half the time, but that's what buys the bottles and heals the liver for the next wave.

By all means let's get together for a tasting session sometime if you are anywhere near me (I have a loose definition of near and am happy to travel pretty large distances. Mrs Tot and I enjoy road/train trips). I may be newly discovered to be weak on rum at present, but I'm pretty strong on bourbon, so if you have an interest in that, I can probably bring something you will find interesting.

All the best, and see you on the forum!
The Black Tot
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Welcome to the forum. As far as I know Pusser's is not adulterated and yes we've all been there and got conned by the fancy marketing claims etc. When you don't know you don't know and it's easy to be taken in. Even now we will all be taken in on a product or two, for the simple reason the information is not out there, not to be taken in by. So don't be so hard on your self.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Thanks Dai.

I'm not beating myself up about it. Rather, I'm really excited to get pushing into the real stuff.

It's only frustrating because I probably won't be on land until November. That's a long time to have to wait for tasting!

Lots of time, though, to read around this forum and ask questions.