da'Rum recommends: Don Pepin My Father Le Bijou 1922

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

da'Rum recommends: Don Pepin My Father Le Bijou 1922

Post by Capn Jimbo »

This isn't a review...

...yet, but based on the very highest recommendation by da'Rum I was able to locate this well rated petit robusto at a new and HUGE cigar emporium called Neptune in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. It's like the Total Wine but featuring cigars, pipes, sisha and even has a huge BYO (bring your own) plush and air-conditioned smoke room. Amazing...

Normally Don Pepins are pretty darn expensive, but Neptune is actually a big mailorder company who decided that our destination city for monied tourists could support such a megastore. I hope they are right.

It's 4-1/2" x 50, with a rare wrapper, an "obscuro" (near black). The reviews are universally favorable but no spoiler's here now. It's considered a medium/full bodied creamy and complex cigar, and was had for $6.50 - a fair price. Better yet?

My Father Cigars are made in Miami, near Calle Ocho (perhaps one of the most famous streets in the world), Little Havana. d', check THIS out...

http://www.myfathercigars.com/#

BTW, this is exactly what it's like - the music, the women, the cigars, the Cafe Cubano being sold on the street, old men smoking cigars wearing white, Panama hats, and arguing politics and playing dominoes. Doral - where the MF headquarters is located is within reasonable driving distance, and has a small factory, smoke room, et al. (the main factory is in Nicaragua).

da'Rum must know his business as I learned this one has been rated by Cigar Afficianado as in the Top 25 two years running.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Enjoy Jimbo, I think the cigar you have is made in Nicaragua though. I'm pretty sure they aren't the Hand made in Miami line but I could be wrong.

"My Father Cigars started in 2008 by the Garcia family. On August 29th 2009 the “Garcia Family Industrial Park” (My Father Cigars) in Estelí, Nicaragua had its grand opening. The seven-acre complex houses the 9 buildings that make up My Father Cigars. All dedicated to an extremely well-planed tobacco industry process, never before seen in Estelí. The state of the art factory consists of over 1900 employees, all working with the tobacco from the time that it is harvested, to the time that it is packed and shipped out to our retailers. Jaime Garcia, President of the company, personally supervises all operations in Estelí to ensure that only the best tobacco is delivered to the consumer. The family achieved twelve lines of cigars and limited editions, all created by Jose Pepin Garcia and his son Jaime Garcia."

Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Oddly enough...

...the 1922 is marked "Hand Made" but doesn't say where. "SeriousCigars.com" had this to say as to the lines...

My Father by Don Pepin Garcia

This blend came about as a joint effort between Don Pepin and his son Jaime Garcia. It is made in the Habanos factory in Little Havana in Miami. Only 50,000 of these cigars are made per year.
However - a call to Neptune (very knowledgable) checked their records and seemed quite sure it was made in Nicaragua. I believe the store, but for fun might call the factory in Miami tomorrow, as I'd really like to visit. There are still a few small factories on Calle Ocho, and of course in Key West and Tampa.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Called the factory...

...and was informed this cigar, the Le Bijou, is hand made in Nicaragua. The Miami factory of 12 rollers sticks to custom blends, extra special blends and private orders. They offered a tour (and maybe a free cigar?), we're going...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Take photos.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

and was had for $6.50 - a fair price. Better yet?
I live in the UK you could triple that price for th esame cigar. Our taxes on tobacco, alcohol and petrol are sky high.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition