Cigar Review: entry level Sosa Robusto

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.

How do you rate the Sosa Robusto (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
100%

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Cigar Review: entry level Sosa Robusto

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sosa Robusto: loose, fast burning, unremarkable. 5x54, $39.95 for 20 ($1.99 each).

. . . . . . .Image

This one was had via a Cigars Intl. "10 for $10 special". Of the 5 different makers (two each) I considered this Sosa the only shaky one of the bunch (pun intended). Still CI's description was this:
"Sosa is medium-bodied, extremely smooth, and very flavorful. That's complements of a well-blended combination of aged tobaccos including a dark, oily maduro wrapper leaf and a blend of Dominican and Honduran long-fillers. Notes of earth, cocoa, pepper, and sweetness are present, along with a rich tobacco core. In sum, an easy-going cigar that's loaded with flavor. A cigar you'll enjoy burning over and over again."
We'll try the other one later, but after smoking da'Rum's Don Pepin Le Bijou 1922, this entry level Sosa could barely be considered a cigar. The first puff or two was nicely vegetal but that's about as long as that lasted. This rather loose rolled cigar looked nice, but burned extremely fast and I doubt it would have lasted much more than 10 or 15 minutes at best, and for a full size robusto yet.

It quickly moved into a completely inoffensive, unremarkable, nondescript phase and stayed there. We quickly lost interest and tossed it - there was simply no reason to continue. If your objective is sucking, blowing and making smoke, a perfect choice.

I'm quite sure this was the throwaway of the CI special:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1426
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A second opinion...

Recall that the "10 for $10" special included two of each, including the Sosa. As noted above the first one was less than ideal, loose rolled, fast burn, tasty vegetal for only the first few puffs. After this I planned to give the other one away, but even this posed issues as how could I possibly inflict such an experience with a friend.

Therefore I decided to try the second one, and I'm glad I did. The construction on this one was better, the roll was better, the burn was better. In fact, the nice vegetal experience now lasted for at least half the cigar, with the rest being at least uniform.

At the least the first Sosa was simply a bad build, at most we might expect a mixed bundle in the future. Still, reflecting on the $1.99 price things need to be kept in perspective - for that price really not at all bad as this is a rather hefty robusto...