The real deal Dept: Is that Cuban real?

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

The real deal Dept: Is that Cuban real?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

da'rum wrote:I have smoked quite a few Cuban cigars from low to mediumly expensive. I, for the most part, wasn't convinced of their superiority. I have been told that I must spend big and age to get the ultimate Cuban cigars experience. I assume though that if I spent good money on a non Cuban my experiences would be similar. That won't probably ever happen.
I do understand. If I didn't have a well-to-do friend those years ago, one who travelled extensively, and who didn't mind spending what to me would be a very high price, I'd have never had the opportunity. But I do know these...

There are several grades of Cubans, for example those made for domestic consumption, and the better cigars destined for export. However even though all of these are closely controlled, there are great variations in quality of construction. Here's the problem...

The problem of demand...

The truly fine Cubans are so superior that the demand for "real Cubans" is tremendous. So many of those exported, though authentic, are really of lesser quality. Counterfeiting is a major, major problem. It is such a huge problem that the Cuban government even developed special holographic labeling systems, but even these extreme measures fail, as there is a ready market for empty boxes. It is fair to say that most of what passes for Cuban isn't.

Last but not least, there are only a few markets and retailers skilled enough to demand, recognize and get the real deal. These skilled and premium outlets would mostly be in Britain, Switzerland and Canada. Most of the Cubans that are sold at even remotely attractive prices are probably counterfeit, as are many of the full priced (think $380+) boxes of cigars. The most important decision to make is finding and choosing one of the few reputable and respected retailers.

As one of these said so well "Trust your taste buds, if it doesn't look good, it may be Cuban, but if it doesn't taste good it probably isn't."

http://www.cubancigars.com.ky/fakes.htm
http://www.cigars-of-cuba.com/readings/ ... Cigars.asp
...(a few quick links that illustrate the problem).
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

In their all too short lives, all cigar smokers must smoke just one...

...one real Cuban. Here are the truly famous ones:

Cohiba Esplendido

Cohiba has long been considered Cuba's best cigar, and the personal choice of Fidel Castro. The workers - who oughta know - choose a 7x47 they call the "Julieta 2".

Punch Punch

A near Churchill 5-5/8 x 46, also called the "Corona Gorda" is simply a beautifully made cigar, that is said to have a cult following.

Montecristo No. 2

Speaking of sheer beauty, I personally love what's called a torpedo or "pyramide" with the tapered head, and typically around 6 x 52. These are extremely difficult to roll, and particularly so to meet the extremely high standards of appearance for this famous cigar. Only a very rollers ever gain the skills to be allowed to roll this one - they are considered superstars to their coworkers.

Consider this:
"The Montecristo No. 2 stands alone as a work of art. It has been regaled by cigar masters around the world as the most impressive cigar in physical characteristics that a smoker will hold in their lifetime."
Oddly enough, the difficulty in rolling this one means that a buyer of a box should be prepared to find a few with less than perfect construction, but these cigars are so valued that the buyers consider these minor fails part of the price of admission.

Flat Ass Bottom Line

All said however, it's been a long while since the expat Cuban growers had to leave for Honduras, the DR and Nicaragua. Over those years these areas have continued to develop and improve to certainly match or exceed the quality of the Cubans. Still, the precise terroir of the Vuelta has never been equalled, and remains best represented by the Cohiba Eplendida, a real piece of art and history. Uno tiempo, por favor....
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A few more great Cubans...

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona

Another famous Cuban is also the longest, 7-3/8 x 49. This is definitely an after dinner, long smoke, very full flavored yet reputedly non-overpowering.

Now for one that I personally find appealing, the...

Cohiba Robusto

This is said to be the largest selling of the iconic Cubans. Not all smokers are candidates for a two hour smoke, and not all can afford the big guys. Regardless, many afficianados consider this best of the Cuban cigars. At 5 X 50 the Robusto is a perfect smoke.

For me the Robusto is my favorite size, although Sue Sea has a weakness for the more slender Corona or even a Lonsdale.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I've smoked all of those and reiterate that they are, for my tastes, over rated.

Now just because I didn't find them to be far superior doesn't mean that they were counterfeit, I am sure they weren't. It also doesn't mean that they wouldn't be found to be super duper by another smoker. It only means that for my tastes I'd rather spend less on quality non Cubans that provide a complex and fulfilling smoke.

I may revisit the whole experience now that I find myself smoking the semi regular cigar again. I'll see if my earlier impressions have changed.

Maybe.

Edit: I've smoked all of those except for the Cohiba Esplendido. At 30+ € a stick they are a bit too pricey. The reviews on them paint the same picture that I have for my whole Cuban cigar experience. That is, a good smoke, quality build but not worth the price tag.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d...

I'll take your word on this. Perhaps if Cubans were easily available everywhere they'd lose their mystique. But the demand drives the mystique as well as widespread counterfeiting.

I was amazed at the immense market for these, which Cigar Afficianado reported in the millions worldwide. For example one of our big local stores was busted:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/3258

On another occasion on our way to Key West we stopped at our favorite Cuban coffee shop in Key Largo, who also sold cigars, and who knew us. We bought a couple and were smoking them at an outside table, when the old man came out and handed us another unlabelled cigar - free - and said "Try this one, it's a real Cuban". It goes without saying that South Florida and the Keys were famous for all manner of smuggling, from Cuban rum, to Columbian drugs, you name it.

I'll never know if this one was real, but we both agreed it was terrific. I doubt if it was real, but we appreciated the gesture. For a good overview on the fake market (losses estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars):

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/7757

OK, it's widespread, but how good are the fakes?

Too good for the average consumer, and even many retailers. The cigars, labels, boxes, bands, and presentation are so well done that only a very experienced expert can tell. A low price is a certain tipoff, but even full price doesn't guarantee the source.
"We are often offered them," says Oscar Boruchin, owner of Mike's Cigars, also in Miami. "As a matter fact, it's getting difficult to tell which cigars are real and which are counterfeit. The forgers are so good that it's hard to tell. It is unbelievable."

Boruchin never buys Cuban cigars, because it's illegal, but some of his customers purchase Cuban cigars from private sources. "Lots of my customers bring them to me and ask me to look and see if they are real," he says. "I think that 90 percent of the Cuban cigars (illegally) sold in the Miami area are counterfeit."
I understand that both the bands and boxes of authentic Cubans are now holographic, but there are attempts to fake these as well, not to mention there is actually a market for genuine bands and boxes. I also understand that the Habanos website has an "authenticity check" to verify serial numbers. So d, I'm wondering - what steps did you take to insure yours were real?

http://www.dutyfreecubancigars.com/fakes.htm
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatu ... w?id=15999
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

None. Just bought them from a reputable dealer. So there is a small chance they were counterfeit and maybe my stated absolute confidence in them being the real deal was a bit much but Cubans aren't illegal here and the shop I buy them from has a good rep.

http://www.cigarworld.de/

I'll leave room for mistrust though, one can never be absolutely positive.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Such is life...

I'd love to know that the "Cuban" cigar I smoked those many years ago was real, but I'll never really know. One competent resource noted that it's the big Cuban names (like Cohiba, Montecristo, etc.) that account for most of the counterfeits, and that buying some of the less demanded Cuban brands would favor authenticity. Even some of the non-Cuban super-premiums like the Davidoff are known to be counterfeited. All would agree that a very reputable dealer is the key.

We are not experts, but both Sue Sea and I are confident that there are some terrific cigars that are every bit the equal of the legends, made elsewhere (thinking of the smashing My Father Le Bijou 1922 you recommended). For example last night we tried a "5 Vegas "A" Artisan Maduro Robusto" - made in Nicaragua (Costa Rican wrapper, filler from 3 countries, aged) - was a rich and very pleasant cigar (to be reviewed).

What we seek is a quality cigar at a price we can afford. With this in mind the $6.50 My Father, the $6 AF Hemingway Short Story, and perhaps now the $4 5-Vegas "A" Robusto are just fine.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

What we seek is a quality cigar at a price we can afford
That pretty much sums it up. CAO is another brand that I find impressive most of the time.
A few out of the la traviata range are great and sit at about 5-6€ same with the Brazilia range. Dom Rep and Nicaragua. Nice with a rum like Appleton 12 or Pussers.
in goes your eye out
Knilas
Oscar

Post by Knilas »

As was stated a few times up top, the key to buying a good Cuban is finding a reputable vendor. There are many out there, you just have to look hard enough. Also, in the past several years the quality of product coming out of Havana has improved greatly. I strongly encourage anyone who had a poor experience in the past to jump back in. I guarantee you will be rewarded. :)

CC's are not as expensive as you may think. If you wanna pay top dollar of the over-hyped and over priced Cohiba, be my guest. But there are cheaper and better alternatives...and you won't have to wait 5 years for them to come around, like you will with a Cohiba. Alot of them are tasty ROTT.

Most quality CC's can be had for under $200 a box of 25. That's less than 8 bux a stick. Works for me! :lol:

I gave up NC's a few years ago. Too many of em, and new ones popping up daily. When most of a brands focus and expenditures are going towards marketing and hyping the latest and greatest versus sticking with what works and making it better (CC's), alot can and will be lost in the race.

Just my .02
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Could you tell me a couple of decent Cubans to buy?
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

They don't call me the Compleat Idiot for nothing...

...CC? NC?

Thanks.
Knilas
Oscar

Post by Knilas »

CC= Cuban cigar
NC= Non Cuban
Knilas
Oscar

Post by Knilas »

da'rum wrote:Could you tell me a couple of decent Cubans to buy?
Sure. What do you smoke now? What is your profile preference? How much per stick are you comfortable spending?