Review: 5 Vegas Series "A" Artisan Robusto

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.

How do you rate the 5 Vegas Series "A" Artisan Robusto (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: 5 Vegas Series "A" Artisan Robusto

Post by Capn Jimbo »

5 Vegas Series "A" Artisan Robusto

5 Vegas Series "A" Artisan Robusto: $5.00, excellent reviews, lots called it "my favorite". Costa Rican maduro wrapper, aged over 4 years, medium to full.

Please recall the "10 for $10" Cigars Int'l special. This got you two each of 5 cigars, that sell from $2 to $10. We've already determined that the $1.99 Sosa Robusto was a throwaway, with a much improved but still boring $2.50 HC Series Maduro Robusto.

The 5 Vegas "A" Artisan Robusto at $5.00 is now getting into serious cigar territory. With a Costa Rican maduro wrapper, tobaccos from three countries, and aged for four years this well made cigar is quite a value. In fact, a consensus of reviews found that this edition was commonly reported as "my personal favorite" smoke. We lit ours up just after our tasting of Founder's Porter Beer, whose dark color, chocolate and coffee tones turned out to be perfect match.

Now this was a good smoke. Good construction, nice draw, good ash, nice burn. Get ready for some of the nicest, richest, thickest and creamy smoke we've ever experienced. The first third stuns with aromas of good black coffee, and chewy dark chocolate. I'm serious, and the thick smoke only enhances the sensation. The second third adds a nice vegetal note - think grape leaves, with a hint of salty sea breezes, terrific - and which carry through to the stub where a nice white pepper punctuates the experience.

Lovely, we'd buy this one again. For those who like pepper all the way, this is not your cigar, but more than makes up for it with its rather unique and darkly rich experience.

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1426
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Sounds great. How does it compare with the my fathers?
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Now THAT is a tough question...

...as so much of this is very personal taste. But if you hold a pistole to my privates and I'm forced to say, I would remind you that these two are very different concepts and flavors, one rather peppery throughout (Le Bijou) and the other rather not, but rich with deep cacao and coffee, and only a bit of pepper at the end. With that in mind I would recommend that you try this 5 Vegas and see what you think.

All said though, I do believe the My Father is a better made, more complex cigar that was designed to change through the smoke. I'd bet that Le Bijou was designed with differing tobaccos down the length with this in mind.

We'll soon get on to the other two cigars - the best ones - in that "10 for $10" deal, the Gurka Class Regent Gran Robusto and the Ramon Bueso Genesis, The Project Robusto - both receiving simply amazing reviews. In the meanwhile though, this 5 Vegas "A" Artisan Maduro was worth every centivo of that $5...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thanks. So many good cigars to try so little time.

I'll keep my eyes open for the 5 Vegas.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Unfortunately the 5 vegas brand is owned by cigars international and the shipping would kill me.
in goes your eye out