Kilchoman Port wood 55%

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
JaRiMi
Admiral

Kilchoman Port wood 55%

Post by JaRiMi »

I had the opportunity to taste a new Kilchoman release recently, only 3yo whisky...Here's my notes.

Colour: Blush wine, rose. The port has left a lovely shade to the whisky, not unlike what we saw in the older versions of Glenmorangie's port wood bottlings. It certainly catches the eye!

Nose: Smoke up front, sweet toffee, plum, with a touch of the young (3yo) spirit - raw apple, some citrus.

Taste: Peat smoke, maybe a hint of ash, some jam-like notes..hmm, port confit? The wine is definitely in there fresh and virile, but surprisingly it works quite well. I do miss a bit more age for the spirit, it is a little short on complexity. On the other hand, many really enjoy their islay whiskies young and zesty, so...I do recommend a few drops of water added here.

Finish: Peat, toffee, smoke...maybe a touch of ashes also. Some burn of alcohol.

More blahblah in the blog...

http://whisky-rum.blogspot.fi/2014/10/k ... ed-55.html
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Sounds enjoyable. For a young whisky its price is rather confident.
in goes your eye out
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Kilchoman is really solid stuff. I've had the Machir Bay, which is also quite young and it comes off as being much more mature.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

My current absolute favorite amongst all the Kilchomans is the 2007 vintage - which to me seems the most "ready" of the lot.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

JaRiMi wrote:My current absolute favorite amongst all the Kilchomans is the 2007 vintage - which to me seems the most "ready" of the lot.
Interesting, given the distillery only opened in 2005.