Musical owners Dept: Who owns who... today?

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Musical owners Dept: Who owns who... today?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

What I found interesting...

...was the very, very few independents who have survived. Grant is one and should be given every credit for fending off the mega-arseholes.

William Grant & Sons: Speyside, Highlands

William Grant and family is in its fifth generation and sells almost as much whiskey as Diageo. Their consistency, quality and control is admirable and no doubt due to the fact that they have no stockholders or greedy CEO's to answer to. They have a sense of history and tradition. Bravo!

They own and operate...
  • Glenfiddich Distillery (b. 1887)
    Balvenie Distillery (b. 1892)
    Girvan Grain Distillery (b. 1964)
    Convalmore (only the bonded warehouses, to increase warehousing capacity for Glenfiddich)
    Kininvie Distillery (1990-2010)
    Ailsa Bay Distillery (b. 2007)
    Blends: Grant's, Clan Magregor
I've spoken earlier to their amazing blend, their well made and complex Family Reserve that can be had for a mere $16.

http://www.williamgrant.com/en-Gb/home/default.html

J.A. Mitchell: Campbeltown

Springbank stands alone as it appears to be the only and oldest family distillery in Scotland, since 1828 and owned by J.A. Mitchel and Co. Ltd. They produce three malts: Springbank, Longrow and Hazelburn, which they state are made using three different production methods.

Springbank is made with lightly peated barley and using their "2-1/2 stage" distillation process (picture to be posted). No chill filtration, no coloring, heads and tails recycled. The barley is floor malted and raked. Available in a bourbon barrel aged 10 year at 46 and at 50%, and a sherry aged 15 year.

The Longrow is heavily peated, double distilled, and offered at 10 and 14 years. The Hazelburn is unpeated, light and fruity, triple distilled and available at both 8 and 12 years. From the company's website:
"J&A Mitchell & Co Ltd also owns Mitchell's Glengyle Distillery in Campbeltown, where Kilkerran single malt is distilled, the first new distillery built in Scotland this millennium. J&A Mitchell is also the sister company of the Campletown based, world-famous independent bottler William Cadenhead Ltd."
A fascinating history of Campbeltown and whiskey is at:
http://www.springbankwhisky.com/note/
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Interesting. Thanks
in goes your eye out
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Another family-owned distillery that makes a great whisky is Glenfarclas. At the time when most 40yo whiskies that come out go for anything between 3,500 to 10,000 euros, they released one some years ago, packing it in a rather plain looking bottle, and priced it - at 299 euros.

I would also say a word for Billy Walker & his business associates - they have bought BenRiach, GlenDronach and Glenglassaugh, and make fabulous whiskies if you ask me. Again, an independent operation that leaves some of the big companies in shame with sheer quality.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

More good directions. Thanks JaRaMi
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

http://edrington.com/our-brands/famous-grouse

The Famous Grouse is a blended Scotch whisky containing fine single malts, including two of the world’s most revered; The Macallan and Highland Park. Scots clearly cherish the rich, smooth character, as The Famous Grouse has been Scotland’s favourite whisky for more than 30 years.

This was the old mans drink of choice. I grew up round this stuff, never knew it had such good malts in the blend.

Didn't know they own Brugal as well.
http://edrington.com/our-brands/brugal
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition