Beginning

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Schurli
Landlubber

Beginning

Post by Schurli »

Recently, after decades of using "Rums" usually sold in German groceries (Pott etc.) I had the chance to taste Clement Rhum VSOP and Ron Botucal Reserva Exclusiva.
It was quite an experience for me, and led me to search for more informations about rums, and about sugar in rums.
That's how I found The Rum Project. A very helpful website.

Now I'm taking my first steps to discover more about tastes of rums.
Started with Doorly's XO. Now awaiting a parcel with Mount Gay XO, Appleton Estate Extra, El Dorado 5 Years, Barbancourt Five Stars, Matusalem Gran Reserva - thus following Capn Jimbo's recommendations - Many Thanks!

Jörg
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Moin Jörg, don't forget to buy Pussers overproof 75% it's a great rum and a great buy.

Welcome.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Just trying Barbancourt 5* my self as my first bottle of agricole rum.
By the way welcome to the forum.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Welcome to the forum, Schurli!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice to see you...

...you are among a truly wonderful bunch of caring and intelligent people, except me of course. The joys of a truly pure and well made rum, a fine cigar or pipe, a great cuppa coffee, and a nice glass of German beer...
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

Welcome in this small but precious board :)
Nice selection for the beginning, Jimbo really nails it with his recommendations. However I'm not sure whether I really do prefer Matusalem 15 to Havana Club 7 Anos in terms of cuban style. When I joined the "refined rum"-crew I first had the impression that HC 7 Anos is rather harsh and immature but i revisited my old bottle some days ago and had a different experience. Yes it is harsher but this comes from the lower age I guess. The taste is pure, quite unique and I tend to say that it's easier to identify the important aspects of cuban style rum with Havana 7 Anos.

Jimbo probably has a hard time to get any product from them (due to sanctions) so that is not an attractive option in the US.