A kiss from heaven: how to smoke a cigar

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A kiss from heaven: how to smoke a cigar

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For the life of me...

I can't find the original source again, though I can assure you I did read it. In sum, it was a quotation of an experienced old Cuban cigar roller, one of the very few level "7" rollers who are permitted to roll the difficult and/or expensive shapes. They are considered superstars by their workmates, as well they should be. It's a high art.

In any event the interview discussed how this (and most other) rollers are permitted to take home at least one cigar a day. This gentleman was speaking to the full-bodied cigar that is his daily choice. In smoking it he made a comment regarding smoking this very full bodied and challenging cigar that was in essence "...to enjoy it the most you don't puff on it, you kiss it!"

A lovely romantic thought. Now recall that in our "10 for $10" special was included a VERY full bodied Gurka, that was so intense that we couldn't get past the first third. We'd received two, and I decided to give the other away to a Cuban friend who likes full cigars.

Now - two weeks later - somehow that Cuban gentleman's comment came back to me, and on a whim, we decided to revisit the one Gurka remaining and did so. I reminded Sue Sea of the comment and so off we went. BTW, this Gurka is extremely well made, rectangular press, perfect slow burn and ash.

The first quarter of the cigar - like most - went just fine. But at the point that this extra-full Gurka turned very full, we started to "kiss" it - like in pipe smoking, very small "sips". What a difference. This full cigar has such full, strong and rich smoke that it doesn't require the usual puff. A "kiss" changes the character and experience and made the Gurka more than tolerable, actually pleasant.

We finished it down to a nub. My comment to Sue Sea? "I think this is the key to enjoying full bodied and rich cigars. You simply kiss them..."...