Ardbeg Kildalton Project 2014

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
JaRiMi
Admiral

Ardbeg Kildalton Project 2014

Post by JaRiMi »

Ardbeg Kildalton Project 2014 is a relatively new bottling from this Islay distillery. A no age statement whisky, consisting of a marriage of sherry- and bourboncasked Ardbeg, this sells exclusively at the distillery for 120 GBP. Proceedings go towards building a new community hub at Port Ellen village. More musings in the blog..

http://whisky-rum.blogspot.fi/2014/11/a ... 3-217.html

Nose: Quite smoky as expected, very fresh and maritime, some seaweed and iodine as well. By the nose it actually seems older than the current "Ten", which to me at least has a bouquet of a very young distillate, being laden with raw apple and pear notes. Not a bad thing at all for the Project, nice! Some spicy wood, spices and something slightly "chemical"...from the refill sherry casks perhaps? Improves with interaction of air. This spicy wood note reminds me of a refill sherry casked Ardbeg that was bottled exclusively for a Finnish collector long time ago.

Palate: There's a slight alcohol bite at first, but not overly so. The strong peatsmoke is very much present, nicely married with the fruity notes underneath it. Adding a touch of water opens up new elements in taste, and emphasize the sweetness of the spirit. The maritime elements also start to speak louder, and there is a grassy, mentholic sea breeze freshness also. Good, familiar Ardbeg, not unlike those older bottlings many of us miss. Well done!

Finish: Drying clearly, putting an end to that fruity, sweet tone. Long finish that coats ones mouth with maritime iodine and heavy peat smoke.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for the review...
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Thanks for the review...
Captain,

Thank YOU for the forum - and your kind words of allowing us to post links. I ALWAYS post the full review of taste here - but if you'd like to follow my blog link, you may see more there.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

How does it compare to Uigedail or some of the other NAS Ardbegs?