My hero Dept: da'rum and Mac Baren's Navy Flake

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

My hero Dept: da'rum and Mac Baren's Navy Flake

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When you begin...

...you seem to be overly focused on such trivia as packing, relights, etc. and somehow the tobacco itself takes a back seat in the bus. No more. Packing? Most of mine now take an old fashioned, grandpa approach of simply opening a pack, dipping the pipe into it, and using your forefinger to brush tobacco into the bowl until it begins to firm up, a slight press with the forefinger and light. The rest of the smoke will follow with strategic light tamps.

The Mac Baren Navy flake is different. This was one of da'rum's early HIGH recommendations for me and as a rank newbie, I didn't quite get it. But now it has become a real and true occasional treat. I use a small cob, and use only about a vertical third of a single flake, fold twice, a mild role between my finers and a very mild tap just to flatten the fuzzy top just a tad. (Nave Flake smokers understand this). Might require a few lights, a few more tamps, but works beautifully.

Mac Barens NF - god bless da'rum! - is everything he said it would be, and I sincerely dig it. Accompany it by a good medium rum, or one of Bear's bourbons, a cup of black morning coffee, and it's completely pleasant and rewarding. Balanced, smooth, tasty, integrated - just reeks of quality blending and particularly its caring flake presentation.

Again - a BIG thanks to da'rum, for knowing his stuff. He knows from whence he speaks. As for moi, I take comfort and pride in knowing that our friend is rightfully this section's moderator.

Thanks again my friend!
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I'm partial to this tobacco my self. Although I use a full flake in a cob and get a good 50 minute smoke from it usually with a cup of instant coffee. I must order some more as I only have about 5 flakes left in the tin. Keep enjoying the navy flake Jimbo lovely stuff.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I am glad that I could recommend something that you could enjoy.

I really like this flake but smoke it now only occasionally. I'm in a latakia blend, Virginia plug and HH Acadian phase.

I just read your reviews over at Tobacco reviews . com.

Are you going to do one for Mac B NF?
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The Compleat Idiot smokes....

Of course I have minimal qualifications in re tobacco, but then again neither seem a number of others who've written them. I do know something about consistency and balance however. OTOH, tobacco has one very special quality that is VERY different from spirits, and that is that the blends never ever fully merge, as they remain as different pieces of different tobaccos simply mixed together.

It's like calling a checkerboard grey, lol.

So although the aromas begin to merge among the pieces, each piece maintains much of its character as it burns. At least that's my take. I think it accounts for the occasional wisps of a certain flavor that one gets when smoking.

Ya, I might post one... but what's your view on this effect?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I agree that tobacco doesn't blend like spirits. I think they do remain independent flavour parts in a blend. Although with a couple of important considerations. If the tobacco is steamed and pressed together there is a blending of sorts ie different virginias intertwined so well together that an indefinable virginia blend is created. To a lesser extent the same applies to pressed Latakia and Virginia, although the blending results in a rounding of flavours in this case.

As for ribbon cut I think that the flavours are or can be very distinct from each other with only the mild blurring of efges in the vaporising zone directly under the coal.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's funny how tastes change...

MacB's NF is one the most reviewed blends on TR with over 200 reviews, scores average 3.0, quite reasonable, yet with a roughly equal number of 2.0's and 4.0's evident, so there is evidently a fairly balanced difference of opinion.

Almost everyone comments favorably on the quality of the press and slices which must be seen to be appreciated. Likewise, most reviewers find that NF packs and burns very nicely with what seems to be the standard folding technique (once or twice lengthwise, then once or twice against the grain, roll it a bit, stuff loosely - to allow for expansion - then a bit of a top tamp and have at it). Most like the way it holds a light and burns rather slowly. All seem to agree that this is most assuredly a light, slow sipper (the steady burn helps with this).

All of these positives may account ffor Navy Flake's good 3.0 average review, but now to the con's. Navy Flakes are supposed be topped or lightly cased with rum. Although TR states the blend contains "Alcohol / Liquor, Cinnamon, Honey, Other / Misc, Rum", there just isn't much real rum apparent. Instead, most agree the leading impression is honey with any alcohols/rum not really noted. Strike one.

Although NF is said to be burley forward, with Virginia and what may be a bit of Virginia Cavendish, and despite those who praise its burley, what really seems to happen is that the combination cancels it out. Yes, there are some nice rich and toasty burley moments (particularly on relights) but it quickly retreats back into the blend. The Virginia makes its presence known primarily insofar as sipping technique which must be s-l-o-w, small and paced.

This is a bowl you want to draw out as long as you can. If you do, the alleged MacBaren burn is minimal; if you don't have a glass of coconut milk handy.

As for me when I first experimented with MacB's Navy Flake, it was a disaster tongue and palate-wise. I hadn't yet learned how to sloooow down and sip, a talent da'rum highly recommends. Later on and having learned to slow down, I simply loved this flake but again - this was in comparison to some very aromatic vanilla based cavendish - compared to these the NF featured what seemed to be rich tobaccos.

And again with more experience, that again has changed. I've personally come to appreciate well balanced blends that find what for me is my personal "sweet spot". Balanced enough that no single component dominates, but with enough differentiation that each component can be richly distinguishable. This is where NF now fails again for me.

It's not bad but the components - overlaid with the aforesaid honey - come together so completely that the components cancel one another out. Thus MacBaren's Navy Flake has returned to the level of a pleasant but not especially remarkable blend, not to mention the replacement of Navy rum with honey.

Such is life...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Good call. That will change again too if you are anything like me. I loved MBNF initially and then the appeal waned. I went back to it after a long break and found it again delightful.
The to and fro with taste and palate is, in my case, quite noticeable. I know now that even if I am enamoured with a blend that my passion for it must be tempered with restraint.
I now have a lot of differing blends in my closet and make sure that my favourite smokes are regularly put in short hibernation as I take my palate for a walk with other choices. I find this not only deepens my appreciation of my favourites but also improves my leaf identification and leaf quality judgement.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Got to get some more NF in the new year. One of the few aro's I enjoy along with GQ rum and honey.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai...

If you like Navy Flake, and/or rum based blends, I would greatly encourage both you and d... to absolutely buy a tin of Sutfliff's Private Stock Barbados Plantation - made with Bajan rum, just a touch of vanilla and banana - but mostly just a great blend of burley, Virginia and black cavendish - it is truly incredible and was reviewed here:

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1584

It's claim to fame in my book is that this very special blend seem to be absolutely authentic, with the rum, vanillan and banana all present in real Bajan rums.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I can't get it here Jimbo.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:I can't get it here Jimbo.
Nor me

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pipe tobacco is a funny thing...

One of the very first I purchased (at da'rum's insistence) was this McB's Navy Flake. At first, I was not used to piping and seared my tender tongue, but good. Later, I got better and really liked it - not to mention that Virginia-based blends are alleged to age well and improve. But then?

I finally got into the English/Balkan/Scottish group: 965, R-blend, Bosporus Cruise, Artisan, et al - all very flavorful even in sipping mode. So yesterday - my piping day - I started with H&H's Burley Kake - simply lovely and nutty burley forward blend, just lightly topped, rich and heavenly. Burley always seems more full, richer and well, just warmly tobacco'y, eh? Second small bowl then became the Artisan - a nice, nice Balkan with yup, that barbequed Syrian latakia (not to mention plenty of Oriental and Perique as well). Tasty and wonderful.

I ended the day with another stab at this McB's Navy Flake and wouldn't you know it - no issue smoking it, but I found it simply dull and almost lifeless, at least compared to the others. Yes, those folded flakes burn well, and yes there's tobacco in there but honestly - nothing special happened for me.

Tastes obviously change and it seems that I once I "got" the English style blends, particularly those that are well-balanced, the more I crave them. OTOH, I still very much enjoy a great aromatic, one that doesn't overpower and is well balanced with the base tobaccos. So - the lovely part of all of this is that piping affords you endless option, endless choices, and at prices that make cigars (which I love) hard to justify.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I like the NF but also have wandering tastes and have by and large moved on from this blend. I would still recommend it to someone who has just started pipe smoking.
Last edited by da'rum on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Exactamundo...

...once having gotten into some of the English blends and their latakia/oriental elements, I too have moved away from the MacB's Navy Flake.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Exactamundo...

...once having gotten into some of the English blends and their latakia/oriental elements, I too have moved away from the MacB's Navy Flake.
Had a bowl of Navy Flake yesterday Ultimate smoke it was. I could taste the rum in every puff and the smoke just flowed. will have to get some more when I come back from Amsterdam, got to save my pennies at the moment.