Rums only available in UK

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
rockinrum
Oscar

Rums only available in UK

Post by rockinrum »

Hi all!

I am currently visiting the UK (England to be exact) and I am looking for a nice rum to bring back to the States with me that is perhaps exclusive to the UK (or, rather, cannot be bought in the US). Does anyone have any suggestion? I'm not looking for any style in particular, just something unique to the UK/England!

Cheers!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Get yourself a Pusser's Blue label - It's 108 proof over there instead of 92 proof (or something) in the USA. They also have a Pusser's 151 over there if you can find it.

It's all the same stuff, just with less water in it, so you can control the proof however you like it by adding the amount of water you actually want.

I don't know my way around the finer rums yet in the UK, but recently I tried Wood's 100 Navy Rum. It's a cheap Demerara that's not available in the US, and great for mixing (I personally like to sip it too, but I wouldn't call it a sipper for most).

Most importantly, don't limit yourself to one. Even if they ask you to pay duty when you return to the states, duty in the US is negligible. Like on the order of 2 bucks a bottle or less. You'll find they don't even ask you how much booze you brought back. Load up your suitcase. When I go I usually bring back at least 7 bottles, which is about the practical maximum I can safely pack in a regular sized suitcase and still lift it comfortably.

Have fun and when you get home let us know what you got and how it tastes!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

One more comment.

If you can get it in the USA, don't buy it in the UK. UK liquor prices are significantly higher due to the taxation. So check the internet to see if you can get the stuff at home before you buy a bunch of stuff only to find that it's at home for 2/3 the price or less.

A lot of the higher end rum bottlers (Cadenhead's, Berry's, etc) are located in the UK. You may be able to order from them by phone and have the bottles shipped to where you are staying. That's if you're planning on spending some larger money.
rockinrum
Oscar

Post by rockinrum »

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely take your advice. I've seen the Pusser's 108 proof around and I considered purchasing a bottle, but it is indeed quite pricey. I'll let you know what (if) I decide to bring back and how it is for sure! I'll also keep a lookout for some of the stuff online. Things are certainly expensive in the UK... even more so when you translate into $!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Indeed they are, it's a drag, and mainland Europe is substantially cheaper. But access is access.

I forgot to add that Cadenheads and Berry Bros And Rudd both have stores in London, if that's where you are. So you can go and stare at the high priced goods anyway. That's what I plan to do when I get back there in late Jan.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Just a note, you can find Woods 100 at Heathrow duty free, in L size. It's far cheaper there than any shop. It's my favorite Demerara for mixing.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Thanks Hassouni! That's great advice.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Here are two reviews of rums only available in the UK, Woods and OVD. You can find OVD in Tesco supermarkets. Some say OVD is a better mixer than Woods I don't like Demarerra Rums for mixing so can't say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYrJ2V ... EDDwujg6EA

https://www.youtube.com/user/andross200/videos

Kevin
Swabbie

Post by Kevin »

If you are in London stop by Gerry's or Whisky Exchange for all the rum you could ever want. They will have plenty of bottles you can't find in America.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I'm gonna be in London right before Christmas. Where's the Whisky Exchange? I'm quite familiar with Gerry's. I'm also considering hitting up either the Cadenhead shop or the Berry Bros shop.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Dai wrote:Here are two reviews of rums only available in the UK, Woods and OVD. You can find OVD in Tesco supermarkets. Some say OVD is a better mixer than Woods I don't like Demarerra Rums for mixing so can't say.

I've seen his Woods review. It's OK, I guess, but part of his review is mixing it with Coke?

My ultimate review for a Demerara rum would be to make a Queen's Park Swizzle with it, since Dem rum REALLY shines in that.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Hassouni wrote:
Dai wrote:Here are two reviews of rums only available in the UK, Woods and OVD. You can find OVD in Tesco supermarkets. Some say OVD is a better mixer than Woods I don't like Demarerra Rums for mixing so can't say.

I've seen his Woods review. It's OK, I guess, but part of his review is mixing it with Coke?

My ultimate review for a Demerara rum would be to make a Queen's Park Swizzle with it, since Dem rum REALLY shines in that.
Never heard of that let alone tried it.

Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »