Hello, From Buffalo NY

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
mamajuana
Admiral

Hello, From Buffalo NY

Post by mamajuana »

Not exactly from the rum destination of the world. I am a rum collector, near daily drinker, and have my topics of interest regarding rum that I will be sharing. My collection is at over 200 unopened bottles and many opened and many more than that empty of course.

In Particular, mainly Pure rums and research regarding these and tasting notes.

Exposing fakes or frauds or defective rum bottles/brands, and false advertising.

White rums is also a very hot topic for me. I mainly enjoy my white rum/rhum straight. I try to finish at least 1 new bottle of white a week. My detection meeter is fairly high tuned for additives so even when its hard to find info about these rums I can generally point out a additive/sugared up rum.

There will also be a so called "rum" distillery opened in Buffalo that uses non-sugar cane product in their "rum" which they claim has been allowed by the TTP? Will investigate this situation and make a full report in January.

My user name comes from my time Spent in the Dominican Republic. I make my own Mamajuana of varying fermentation lengths up to 1 year old at this time. I use it to treat anything from a spider bite to the common cold with great success. 100% organic components are used in its mixture. 18 Herbs/Barks/Roots/Woods from the DR USDA certified. Along with 100% fair trade organic components such as molasses, Honey, and Vermouth/fortified wine. Also mid range rum is used of varying types always experimenting.

In my off time from rum I work as a Manager of operations in the finance industry.

Anyway I look forward to posting here back to drinking now!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Welcome, M!

You'll be in great company here. My head spins from what I've already learned here, and I'm still getting started.

All the best and see you on the forum.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Hello, and welcome.
in goes your eye out
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Re: Hello, From Buffalo NY

Post by Blade Rummer »

Welcome to the Rum Project!
mamajuana wrote:In Particular, mainly Pure rums and research regarding these and tasting notes.

Exposing fakes or frauds or defective rum bottles/brands, and false advertising.
I'm going to assume you are the same mamajuana from the MOR forums? I know from your posts there that you are a big Plantation rum fan. You must know that Plantation rums are hardly pure, based on the ALKO data it's clear that sugar is added. In fact, based on my tasting, I would say that some other flavorings must also be added. The 20th anniversary bottling esp. is pretty far from the taste profile you would expect from a pure rum (aged for an unknown number of years). And while I wouldn't say that Plantation rums are a case of false advertising, they do play heavily to the premium, small batch crowd with their different yearly editions, single cask offerings etc, but it's all superficial and doesn't really mean anything. The are pretty much just taking altered rum and packaging it to ressemble scotch to give it more cred with collectors of fine(r) spirits.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Another welcome...

Yes indeed this mamajuana (Joanne's breast in Spanish and also a Dominican concoction of rum, honey, red wine, bark and herbs) is indeed from the MOR, home of the "it's all good" crowd, and whose hall monitor has apparently given him a hall pass, not remotely suspecting that he'd actually end up - heaven forbid - here at the Project, the website the Preacher loves to hate.

The mama has assured me he clearly understands that about the only thing we share with the MOR would be the spelling of the word "rum", and little else. This is good. I'd also note that this gentleman has a rather extensive collection of white rum, and yes, has concocted his own version of Joanne's breast milk.

Seriously, welcome to the largest free and independent, absolutely non-commercial rum website in the world, dedicated to pure and unadulterated fine, quality rums that are honestly labelled.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Let's make this like the Foreign Legion eh? Pasts are forgotten as we band together to fight a war on many fronts. That's not saying a discussion on Planfaketion isn't warranted but we've all been duped at one time or another.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Welcome I think you'll find us an interesting bunch. We like rum but we also like honesty from the rum producers. We look forward to hearing your views/disagreements, OH yes, we don't all agree here but, that's OK we agree to dis-agree, which is more than I can say for other forums. After saying that we all seem to get on and enjoy our discussions. I for one look forward to hearing more .
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition