Christmas Beer

The problem with beer was that it wouldn't survive a long voyage, ergo rum and other distilled spirits. Still, beer later became a wondrous thing, with each community having its own unique brewery and style. We were loyal! That changed, but of late, Craft Brewing appeared and gone mad - with over 3000 of the buggers and 100's of weekly new releases, ergo a blood, er beerbath is in the offing. Until then - this section...
bearmark
Beermeister

Christmas Beer

Post by bearmark »

It's time to grab a few ales laced with Christmas spices for the holidays. I had a pour of Southern Tier's 2XMAS (double spiced ale brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glögg) the other night. It had loads of cinnamon, clove, allspice... over spiced for me, but still good. I've also secured a couple of bottles of Christmas Bomb! (spiced imperial stout) from Prairie Artisan Ales (Krebs, OK) and a Winter Cider from Leprechaun Cider Co. (Houston, TX) that I plan to enjoy for Christmas.

Be sure to seek out some of the local creations in your neck of the woods and share your experiences with the crew. If you can't find any of those, there's always the perennial Anchor Christmas Ale. If you haven't had that one, you should give it a shot anyway.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Other than marketing a "Christmas" beer, is there any component or profile that defines one?
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Other than marketing a "Christmas" beer, is there any component or profile that defines one?
They are typically spiced with Christmas baking spices as you would find in spiced ciders, wassail, etc. (cinnamon, clove, etc.). The base brew can vary from pale ales and lagers to porters and stouts and even Belgian trippels and quadruples. This is the time to seek them out and explore the variety. I would recommend picking up an Anchor Christmas Ale as a starting point, then explore the other offerings in your area from there.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Far and away my favorite is Gouden Carolus Noel, a Belgian strong ale . The spicing is very subtle, and it is actually one of my overall favorites.