Sutliff's Private Stock: Barbados Plantation

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sutliff's Private Stock: Barbados Plantation

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Anyone who loves rum and piping...

...must buy this one, per TR:

Blend Type: Aromatic
Contents: Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia
Flavoring: Rum
Cut: Ribbon

Here's the review I posted at TR:
"Some of you may be aware of The Rum Project where we review rums, whisky and tobaccos. It is fair to say that we know our rums very well, not least the fine Barbadian style with which this blend is alleged to be flavored. Until recently one of my favorites was McB's Navy Flake. No more.

This blend supplants it, and not by just a little. The tobacco all seems to be of good quality, and blended well. Visually it seems to be black cavendish dominant, followed by burley and then virginia, but that's just a rough guess. Some have called the blend too moist, but mine was not. With minimal drying the number of relights was not at all excessive. Used a standard 3 pack in my cob, and it was off to an extremely pleasant experience.

You will read of this blend's aromatics of rum, over a touch a vanilla and one poster even mentioned a light banana. I agree. t just so happens that Bajan rums do in fact display elements of banana (as well as the classic rum profiles of leather, vanilla, medium and deeper fruits). Thus this blend's casing may well be quite authentic insofar as a gentle Barbadian rum is concerned. But don't get me wrong. In this case the aromatics in no way overwhelm, but rather are in perfect balance with the burleys and virginia in this blend. The rum is entirely authentic in this light aromatic blend.

All the elements - tobacco and aromatics - can be distinguished, although they remain in near perfect harmony and balance. No one component dominates in any way, and that is a real gift. Indeed as the bowl progresses the tobaccos strengthen and move nicely forward, yet the modest aromatics are in no way lost, just slightly less evident.

This kind of balance and development is what I believe all such blends of its kind should aspire to. Lovely light, no burn, cool, rich, smooth and balanced. And to me, completely authentic. Love it!

Pipe Used: MM cob
Age When Smoked: 3 months
Purchased From: Local sale
Similar Blends: MacBaren Navy Flake."
Of course pipe tobacco is entirely a matter of personal preference, although the better blenders do use higher quality tobaccos and ingredients. Labelled "Barbados Plantation" and "Sweet Barbados Rum, Smooth and Rich", well, I just had to buy it, particularly as my local tobacconist made a special purchase and was selling the tins for half price.

The big difference from MacBaren's Navy Flake to me, was authenticity. So many aromatics seem overdone, to the point that the aromatics tend to dominate with only hints of the underlying tobaccos peeking through intermittently. Now I don't know about you, but I really do enjoy nutty burley and sweet virginias, and there's really nothing wrong with a plain cavendish either. If aromatic aroma was my driver, I'd be doing Blueberry Bubblegum hookah.

For most of us its the good quality tobaccos that counts, nicely blended and in such a fashion that the aromatics complement and support the tobacco, not the reverse. The Barbados Plantation achieves this in spades. The elements are in great harmony, the tobaccos and VERY authentic aromatics are all discernable and relatively constant but work in magnificent harmony.

All of us here know and love good, pure and authentic rum. What I will tell you now, is that this blend will strike you in the same way as say a Seales Ten. I really mean this. So far I've purchased perhaps 15 or so different blends of which only one or two were pleasing - but this one was the first that was simply a truly "Wow!" experience.

Dai and d... ya gotta try this one! That's an order!

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/409 ... plantation
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A quickie update...

Pipe smoking has become a rare treat now, which seems about right, so this day I'd poured a dram of Doorly's XO when the thought of this truly wonderful Barbados Plantation with its undeniable elements of vanillan and rum could not possibly have been a better choice.

Again I beseech you: this amazing blend made with Barbadian rum is a must buy, must try. Easy packing, good burn, mild and rich - totally pleasant and highly, highly recommended....
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:A quickie update...

Pipe smoking has become a rare treat now, which seems about right, so this day I'd poured a dram of Doorly's XO when the thought of this truly wonderful Barbados Plantation with its undeniable elements of vanillan and rum could not possibly have been a better choice.

Again I beseech you: this amazing blend made with Barbadian rum is a must buy, must try. Easy packing, good burn, mild and rich - totally pleasant and highly, highly recommended....
Not available in my neck of the woods.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition