Rum Review: Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six (6) Anos Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six (6) Anos Rum (five is best)?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six (6) Anos Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six (6) Anos Rum: "A Hot Toddy"

Sue Sea and I have arrived at the point where we have tasted most all the important rums (and a few not so). Accordingly, we continue to search for the unusual, the new and especially for the hidden treasures - ideally, underrated and underpriced.

Now, now don't assume that Ron Bodega is one of those! But don't assume otherwise either. Some of the rums I've purchased in such testing of the limits have turned out be real dogs - example: 1 Barrel from Belize. A highly marketing product that earned our lowest rating ever.

Ron Bodega 1800 Six (6) Year is a rum I've rarely seen, is not well promoted, remains (until now) unreviewed and a real blind shot in the barrel. However, I did find this relatively rare offering next to a Cruzan Rum Cream. Both were relatively inexpensive - $18 for the Bodega and $16 for the Cruzan) so it was a no brainer.

I'm more than willing to risk $18 to enlighten my fellow rum drinkers. Enough self-centered aggrandizement, let's aim, fire and see if we hit anything. The reviews:

Sue Sea:
After reviewing close to 80 rums, I have mixed emotions when Jim brings home yet another bottle. I want our living space to look like a home, not a bodega. But I can't and won't stop him, and tasting a new rum is always fun. Ron Bodega 1800 was no exception.

Bodega comes in a nice, simple but classic traditional bottle. Medium neck, indented base and with an equally simple but effective antique label. No offputting marketing jargon, just the facts: Rum Bodega 1800, Old Rum No. 6, an old sailing ship and "product of Venezuela".

I like this. No pretense, no Tommy Bahama.

We cracked the bottle and both of us had the same impression. And it wasn't pleasant! Oily, harsh, almost sour and heavy aroma. The taste was better, but we quickly ended the tasting with some quick impressions:

Four (4) for me and five (5) by Jim. Low ratings. Thank god it was only $18. But then something amazing happened.

We both slept in, and Jim poured a dram of Bodega while making coffee (his nose is best in the morning). By the time I awoke he was sharing another dram with my son, and urged me to join them for an informal tasting (fully expecting to confirm our negative impressions).

Boy were we wrong!

After a couple drams each, we had an entirely different impression. This time, Ron Bodega 1800 opened with an extremely pleasant deep, rindy leather - a kind of tarry, ropey oakum. Over a background of deep citrus orange, and a high foreground of vanilla caramel! Absolutely lovely.

Tastewise, the Bodega opened with a cinnamon kick. The mid-palate was a consistent caramel/vanilla and ended with a nice clove. This transitioned to a chest warming, white peppery finish.

All in all, I came to completely different conclusion - as did Jim and he will tell you why. I love the authenticity of this rum. If additives are present, they are extremely well done. This is a real sipper that works before, during or after a meal, or simply anytime. It reminded me of a warming and wonderful hot toddy, but stands alone as such.

Superb!
Me:

At this point, many of you are wondering just what happened to change our earlier impressions - with which we stand. Here's what we found and believe...

Unlike any other rum we own, when first popped the cork I found the bottom third of the cork blackened and stained. I believe this bottle was somehow stored on its side. We believe it is quite possible the rum absorbed some of this "corkiness".

More importantly, when opened the rum had a chance to air, especially after we removed a few drams. And the next day, the bottle aired even more. We also noted that airing the dram seemed to improve it. In sum...

We learned a lesson.

Rums do improve with time and airing and there could be no better example than this one. It is fair to say that it takes time - both at a tasting, and over time - for a rum to fully examined and understood.

Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six Year is an amazing rum. According to its box, it is 6 years old, which is bordering on too young. But too young it is not. Nor is it overoaked and/or overdeveloped. Now I do agree with Sue Sea's experience, but would like to highlight a few things.

The aired aroma is exceptional. The vanilla caramel comes out and perfectly balances the deeper aromas. I have to add some black licorice to the mix. Bodega is medium body - just right - and exceptionally smooth and consistent with the vanilla, caramel and deeper tones following through to end with just a wonderful astringency. I found the finish just as described.

In six short years, Ron Bodega has achieved what many rums never do. It is neither too young, nor is it too aged. It has the complexity of an older rum but without being overoaked. Now it is true that a very few master blenders can achieve this balance through skilled blending. I think it's rarer still to achieve this with what is likely a single barrel product (to be revisited).

No matter. Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six Year is a superb, authentic sipping rum that can hold its own with almost any other offering. At $18 it is absolutely a best buy, a must buy.

Score (ten is best): Sue Sea -8, Jimbo - 7.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Some necessary fluff...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Some necessary fluff...

As most of you know, I tend to avoid - like the plague - marketing hype. However, since Bodego is so very hard to find (as is the website) I decided to post the blurb from the containing box, authentic miscaps and translation all...
"The year 1800 will never be forgotten by the people of Carupano. Tha year the "Elizabeth" and the "Scorpion", attacked this pacific village.

The soldiers, with the support of the people, forced the European warships to retreat from their shores. Years later and in the honor of this heroic feat of Carupano, Ron Antiguo 1800 was born.

This high quality Rum, carefully aged for 6 years in oak barrles, is the result of the distillation of the sugar cane grown on Venezuela's East Coast Valleys. This cane has been quite appreciated since the colony for its superb quality. Its distinguised taste allows it to be enjoyed neat, like the best brandy, or with some water or ice.

Ron Antigua Bodega 1800... when time makes a difference. 6 anos."