Pure and Simple

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Who-is-this-Ron-guy?
Greaser

Pure and Simple

Post by Who-is-this-Ron-guy? »

Greeting from Toronto, Canada.

Long time single malt enthusiast who has taken an interest in rum. Sadly, I was lured in by the zweet ziren zong of Zacapa only to discover, to my horror, that it was a sugar-laden adulteration. The horror intensified as I further discovered that most online reviewers do not seem to differentiate between unadulterated and adulterated rum, which to me diminishes the value of their assessments.

I was discouraged from pursuing rum (my single-malt-purist sensibilities would not allow it) until I found this site, in addition to some other commentary and evidence floating around cyberspace, that drew attention to the problem of unlabelled additives. Since then I've been able to confidently sample a few local rums.

Hoping for a thread that consolidates the list of "safe" rums so that I and future enthusiast will have a single place to go to in order to reference unadulterated rums against locally available products.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's funny...

...but this is a true story - when Sue Sea and I first started reviewing rums, Sue Sea asked me in all seriousness "Who ARE all these distillers named Ron?" I kid you not, we laughed our arses off. Of course, she rolled the "r" when she pronounced it, and it then became an ongoing joke between us.

I too will never forget being drawn in by the Shillery and its ilk, and spending lots of hard earned shekels to collect perhaps 50 rums based on these knowing mispresented so-called glowing reviews and self-appointed reviewers before we realized we'd been had.

A few critical comments, the Shillery was history, and The Rum Project was born. There is a master list of pure and adulterated rums at the top of the Scuttlebutt section which should help. A new resource has recently been found, with an even larger list, which will be added to the Scuttlebutt post.

Last, I'm looking for a competent home hydrometer and container that any who really care can order for around $20 or so, so that we as a group can really expand the knowledge base.

The word is now officially out and alteration is finally becoming common knowledge. The effect on the Big Three will be significant, as we help the legitimate Caribbean producers who still make fine, pure and classic rums.

Welcome.
Who-is-this-Ron-guy?
Greaser

Post by Who-is-this-Ron-guy? »

Funny indeed.

I was reviewing the drecon link listing rums with added sugar and my wife, who has a science background and was interested in the study, was looking over my shoulder. When we reached the spanish/latin american rums she asked titular question (who's Ron?). I thought it'd be a bit of humour that would resonate among the rum connoisseurs here.

Are you referring to the ALKO sugar tests when you refer to the master list? I must not have seen the thread otherwise. I have been reviewing that and the drecon analysis, but was looking for a simplified list, something like "hey, these are unadulterated to the best of our knowledge.....". Basically, something where everything is in one place/thread.

If such a thread does not exist I can try to start one if I get some free time.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Although the Project is full of posts regarding various rums and their relative purity, the best lists so far are:

1. Posted via the Count and JaRiMi:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1193

2. See initial post on this thread, and look for the link in "red":
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1193