Hello from NJ

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
edmoney

Hello from NJ

Post by edmoney »

Hey everyone. My interest in rum originally came by way of my interest in cocktails. As I was learning about making various classic and craft cocktails, it quickly became apparent that rum played a very big role and was the base spirit in many of the drinks. I've cooled somewhat on cocktails lately and have turned more of my attention to enjoying just the spirits themselves, unadorned. While my primary interest is in whiskey, I am increasingly becoming interested in rum as well, with its very different flavor profiles adding a new dimension to my spirits appreciation.

I discovered the Rum Project recently as I was trying to make sense of the numerous styles of rum out there, not to mention the seemingly endless selection of individual rums. I happened upon the identification of the five styles and accompanying reference rums and found it to be just what I was looking for (although I'm a bit confused now because in later posts there are hints that some of these have changed ... will someone be updating the "Basic Reference Collection" page?). Anyway, I hope to be learning more about rum going forward ...
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

Welcome to the boards! To answer your question about the references used for the 5 styles of rum, my understanding is that they have changed over the years as previous style references were found to be less than pure rums (ex: El Dorado 15 with loads of added sugar and Matusalem being flavored with macerated fruit).