Greetings from the Great White North

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
RT
Quartermaster

Greetings from the Great White North

Post by RT »

No, not Canada, although I can see it from here (on the snowy south shore of Lake Erie).

A long time rum fan, my serious appreciation started about 4 years ago. My collection has grown to 50+ bottles, despite the extremely limited selections and high prices of the PA state store system. My frequent travels have enabled me to accumulate some interesting contraband.

My preference is heavy on the real aged rum flavors, light on the sweetness and comedy additives, with one small ice chip to take it to 72pf/60F perfection.

-RT
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome Nanook!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome Nanook!

Welcome RT!

As a former resident of the great city of Erie, there were surely times when it felt like the Great White North. But if you can see Canada, you surely have better eyes than mine.

If you dislike what you call "comedy" additives (love that turn of words), you're in the right place. Again, nice to have you here!
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Yes, pretty good eyesight. For example, I can tell from 200 yards away that my ball is not on the green!

On a clear day, standing on the ridge south of town, you can see the tree line of Long Point and the power plant smoke stacks.

Perhaps you didn't live here long enough to experience any clear days?

Alas, I'm stuck here shoveling until my wife retires.
Pyrate Surgeon
Cabin Boy

Post by Pyrate Surgeon »

I'd rather shovel than bail and paddle about in a canoe--being marooned in Tacoma, WA just didn't fit in with the planned week. Yes, RT, once we discover the nectar known as Rhum, a number of us also wonder why we didn't start sooner!

Mind you, there's a rum I've just lately stumbled across, called "Old Mill", a special blend for the Oregon/PNW market. Please avoid, unless someone offers you a free taste--and only take a tiny taste. Flat and rough would be a mild description. It has a good nose--but that's it, nothing redeming about the stuff. Use it as a last-ditch mixer.

*shudder* :roll:
The Rhum comes After the surgery, mate!
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

I'm probably safe from the Old Mill, it's unlikely the bozos at the PA state store system would ever stock it, unless it gets bought out by Bacardi or something.

I must be lucky, don't think I've ever tasted a rum as bad as what you describe. Now, tequila, on the other hand...