Rum Review: Sammy's Beach Bar Rum

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!

How do you rate Sammy's Beach Bar Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Sammy's Beach Bar Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sammy's Beach Bar Rum: Baked Pitzels

Almost all of the net reviews on this unique rum are almost unanimous in opening their reviews by romanticizing Sammy Hagar (formerly of Van Halen), and noting his highly regarded Cabo Wabo (later sold), all in good spirits shilling spirits (pun intended). I'd never do that, lol.

First a couple of pics...

Image...Image

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=485
(Look about 2/3 down the page for some great pics)

Sammy's rum is rather unique: first of all is the backstory wherein Sammy hooked up with a local lookalike Hawaiian distiller who made his own vodka using his own stainless and glass "pot stills" (above) to produce his own rum. I urge you to visit the link above to see the whole set-up. Second, this is a silver rum made from "first press" Hawaiian sugar cane.

To his credit, there are no claims of "fast aging"; instead Hagar relies on his quality raw material and unusual stills. Marketing? Yes. Unfair, no. Still, there are some marketing claims to address. In his review, no less than Robert Plotkin passed along two claims: first, the "unique" heating of the wash with a heating element inside the still. The claim? That this made for a more flavorful distillate. And second, that the distillate was "unique" in that it was produced with a "single distillation".

The truth? As da'rum will confirm, interior heating of pots is quite commonplace but not because it creates a more flavorful distillate. Think of your home water heater: some are heated by gas (external) and some are electric (often internal). Both produce hot water, and both can be adjusted. The second claim is not at all true. If you look at the pics you'll note what is really a very, very tall column (perhaps as much as 15 feet). While most pot stills do have a short "neck", this is really a very tall reflux column. If you look closely you will see that this column is stuffed with what looks like (stainless steel) scrubbing material. This is also commonly used by small distillers as a cheap substitute for multiple distillation plates. As the vapors rise (and begin to cool) the "scrungies" encourage condensation, which drips down and is - you guessed it - redistilled.

Over and over.

The stuffed column in fact causes multiple distillations as the vapor is repeatedly condensed and redistilled. Thus the "pot" in this case is acting only as a simple boiler for what is really a tall column still. Furthermore (if you check the link) you will see a row of simple stainless stripping stills used to produce low wines for the final column distillation. Still , all considered at least we have no claims of "fast aging", just of quality and skill, and a fun set-up. Fair game.

Enough bullshit, time for the bull...

By now you may have assumed we didn't like Sammy's cane juice rum. Quite the opposite...

Sue Sea:
"First of all, to those who sent well wishes as I continue to experience negative symptoms from my two concussions, thank you. We all must take each day as it comes and make the best of it.

Actually, it's very nice to do a nice tasting again. As some of you may know I have come to be a big fan of cane juice rums. I like their vegetal, natural qualities, and dryness. Some like the Barbancourt's which are aged much longer than most of the juice rums, can be quite complex yet still retain a little bit of the source. Others like the Martinique versions or cachacas are much closer to the source, and are caney/reedy and edgy.

Sammy's Beach Bar Rum is one of the latter but without the edginess. I know Jim will add more to this. As always, I love presentation and this rum does not disappoint. From a nice wooden-topped cork, to a modern neck wrapper, to a narrow spiralling label snaking down the bottle and last, a lovely molded in tall represention of a sugar cane plant! I loved it. A very clean and attractive design that actually reflects the rum as I experienced it.

Sammy's opens with a lovely reedy, caney aroma - vegetal but not harsh and with light tones of sweetness: anise, licorice and a wisp of vanilla. The early palate is a bit oily, smooth and is consistent with the aroma, very balanced. The wisp of vanilla turns out to be a light sense of a pitzel, or like a freshly baked pie crust. All is accompanied by an early white pepper heat that grows right through to the lovely finish.

Not too hot, not too sweet. This is the kind of balance we all seek.

Now I know that many of you might not consider a young cane juice as suitable for sipping, but more intended for caiparinhas or the Martinique equivalent. I do understand that, but in time I have come to more and more appreciate these as sippers, occasionally with a small cube of ice. This rum is an exception as it begs to be sipped, mostly due to its remarkable smoothness and integration.

I see it as a compliment to light foods like Chinese or fruit salads, or at a garden party, where its light and smooth cane juice qualities will not overpower. "
Moi: Let me begin with expanding on Sue Sea's comment "Sammy's Beach Bar Rum is one of the latter (blanco) but without the edginess...". Here's why I believe this is so. Not only does is the wash experience a stripping run, but the second and final run is performed in an exceptionally tall refux column. The latter are known for being able to produce high alcohol spirits, even vodkas.

The fact that Sammy's small distiller was in fact producing vodka prior to his association with Hagar is a fair indication that this cane juice rum is produced in similar fashion. The result: an exceptionally smooth and highly distilled product that as a result is quite sippable.

Sammy's Beach Bar Rums nose opens with pleasant and lightly sweet, authentic cane aroma. Bourbon lovers love the aroma of corn, just as some of us may enjoy the sensation of noting the cane from whence this rum is derived. If not an actual terroir, it's the next best thing. I completely agree with Sue Sea insofar as the palate: cane, anise, pitzel and - yes - a brilliant white pepper. All in lovely balance, consistent and harmonious.

Here's the odd part:

In performing this review (which normally require a couple of drams) I kept flip-flopping between "anise with cane", "cane with anise" and "cane as anise" or all of the above. At times I even wondered whether - remotely - was anise added? Actually - not at all. This is a matter of descriptors, an issue that we all struggle with. As an example: my "tar" is Sue Sea's "oakum". My "ripe banana" may be her "licorice", and so forth. What I believe here is that "cane" has a component that some may call "anise" or "pitzel".

And now that I've said that, you too will be confused, or pleased as you will. In closing, at $25 this is surely not a mixer - doing so would actually be a waste of time and good money as this rum is absolutely designed for sipping. Want to mix? Buy a Barbancourt white at $15 (expect a comparison soon). No, Sammy's is for enjoyable sipping, perhaps with a cube of ice.

Fair warning: this is an absolutely dangerous rum, designated driver recommended.

Score (ten is best). Strong "8".

Special Note: this rum is proof positive that "fast aging" is a completely unnecessary claim. Believe that.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice review and a good explanation of the process.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition