Vapid? Not VAPERs...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Vapid? Not VAPERs...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Now I don't smoke my pipes with any regularity, but...

I do for special occasions.

Yesterday was one, with a trip to Miami's famous Calle Ocho (old town Cubano), stopped at the world famous Versaille (a must stop for all political candidates and presidents), which remarkably still has very attractive prices, despite selling some of the very best desserts and Cuban food you can find.

Example: as is classic, the old men still can walk up to an outside window/counter and order a Cafe Cubano for 75 cents (si, you read that right), smoke a good cigar (in my case a "My Father", recommended by da'rum), and argue politics on the sidewalk. I was there with a very good Cuban friend.

Back to last night:

Having had a wonderful day, and the lingering aroma of that fine cigar - and enhanced by a re-tasting of Ron Caldas (a Cuban inspired cane juice, does it get any better?) - on a whim I decided to leave my usual faves and light up a small pipeful of a VAPER (Virgina and Perique) in my now favored small cob.

In this case it was "Louisiana Red" from P&C. Normally I like an aromatic English or American blend (think Scandinavian's BCA, RGL or HGP) and to be fair a VAPER is a far cry from that. No aromatics at all, so the last time I'd tried this one, I was neither pleased nor disappointed.

But under the circumstances I really finally "got" the attraction of VAPERS and the effect of a modest amount of the unusual, fermented and spicy Perique. I do recommend careful sipping and as many careful and gentle relights as it takes. These are not tobaccos to be "pushed", but savored.

Nice.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I love a good Vaper, my current favourite being ascanian no 2 from Dtm. A good Vaper should be in everyones rotation. I like a sweet Va to be paired with the Per, some vapers use a duller or more neutral va and I find that dull sometimes.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Forgot to add...

...turns out this is one of Russ O's H&H blends, described as:
"Louisiana Red is a great sweet and spicy blend containing two different red Virginias and a good amount of outstanding St. James Perique. The rich, round sweetness of the Virginias are complimented by the plum and pepper hints of the cool-burning Perique."
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/243 ... isiana-red

Score: 3.3
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Looks like a well liked blend CJ, next time I'm in Florida I'll drop by for a bowl ;)
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

The nearest I've come to a Vaper is Orlik Golden Sliced and that did not impress me but, my tastes are changing on the tobacco front. more of an Oriental and Aromatic smoker my self.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition