Mr Brog Pipes?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Dai
Minor God

Mr Brog Pipes?

Post by Dai »

Mr Brog are they worth buying ?

Yes

My Brog Kentucky 43 came this dinner time just finished smoking my first bowl in it (GQ Breakfast Blend) and what a good smoker this is.
All I will say is don't discount these pipes as cheap and useless you will be doing your self a dis-service if you do.

Cracking little smoker I shall give a report on this pipe as time goes by but, I really enjoyed my first smoke in it. If you do get one just make sure to run a pipe cleaner through it fist just to get rid of the sawdust int the hole and ditch the filter and it will smoke beautifully.

One small caveat normal tapered pipe cleaners seem to get stuck but extra thin ones as used for the Falcon work great.

Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I've seen these, and am glad to hear that. I was about to take a chance anyway...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:I've seen these, and am glad to hear that. I was about to take a chance anyway...
Which one were you thinking of getting Jimbo.

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Just finished a bowl of Skiff Mixture in my Mr Brog #43 Kentucky, Cracking little smoker. If this pipe keeps performing like todays smoke it will fast become one of my favorite pipes. If you have ever thought about picking up a Mr Brog all I can say is go for it they are great pipes.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Which one?

Honestly, I don't know - will have to take a fresh look when I'm in the buying mode again.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Just finished a bowl of Presbyterian in the Brog. I'm loving this pipe one hell of a smoker. Well worth the £13 I paid for it.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good on you Dai, but a question - you seem to REALLY like this pipe, just what makes it so much better for you in comparison to your others. Can you do a little compare and contrast?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Good on you Dai, but a question - you seem to REALLY like this pipe, just what makes it so much better for you in comparison to your others. Can you do a little compare and contrast?
In a word "air flow" the draw is brilliant makes this pipe a joy to smoke. It can get a little hot if you puff to fast but, then all pipes suffer with this. It's an effortless smoker jimbo. You like to sip on a pipe and this one and most Brog's from what i've read have great air flow when drawing on them. might be worth an investment Jimbo. Can only speak for the one I have though, got to make that qualification.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai, you sold me...

...not to mention my due diligence which returned a bunch of really positive reviews. Apparently the pear wood smokes extremely well, is porous enough to promote a dry smoke, the Brogs are reputed to be a nice easy draw.

. . . . . . .Image

In the case of the model 52 (the "Scoot") I got for $19 delivered, it has a nice thick and cool bowl, interior dimensions of 0.7" x 1.25" (perfect for Moi and my shorter smokes). Although not a nosewarmer, its rather compact (5.25" x 1.75") and quite funky enough to justify my decision to buy it in - urp - yellow!

You made me do it, dammit...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Dai, you sold me...

...not to mention my due diligence which returned a bunch of really positive reviews. Apparently the pear wood smokes extremely well, is porous enough to promote a dry smoke, the Brogs are reputed to be a nice easy draw.

. . . . . . .Image

In the case of the model 52 (the "Scoot") I got for $19 delivered, it has a nice thick and cool bowl, interior dimensions of 0.7" x 1.25" (perfect for Moi and my shorter smokes). Although not a nosewarmer, its rather compact (5.25" x 1.75") and quite funky enough to justify my decision to buy it in - urp - yellow!

You made me do it, dammit...
Natural pear wood. nice. I was thinking of going for the Amigo 51 in natural pear wood finish for the next one. That's when I decide to buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS3ji82V06k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2WszF3U260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wj9MEG8E2I

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yes, I saw the 51, a close second, then...

I saw this one for $13 delivered, a Mr. Brog closeout, no model listed, but in briar (most of the briars seem to be in the $30's...

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

I found a similar design called the "Steward", which has a bowl opening of 0.75" x 1.5 (pretty standard), although this may be a bit smaller, which is fine by me. For a lousy $13, why not, eh? It's all your fault, Dai...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Let me know how they both smoke. I'd be interested to know what you think of the briar brog. There you are Jimbo a good youtube handle for you BriarBrog.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A Mr. Brog Steward Orange briar, list in the $40's...

Dai, the briar pipe above turns out indeed to be a 90 Steward Orange and comes with a pre-blackened bowl, normally sells for around $40 or maybe more, so $13 was a real bargain. One very minor issue - the draw hole is just a tiny smidgeon low, but this proved to be trivial. The pipe came with a nice bag, and Mr. Brog box, and a unique 9mm filter (which I removed, as most Brog smokers do). BTW Brog too states that using the filter is optional. The bowl was 0.75" x 1.5" as assumed.

With the curved stem, didn't pass the pipe cleaner test - also trivial as the filter design does not allow a cleaner to pass anyway.

But that's just background.

Dai, as you note your Brog has an amazingly easy draw, and so does this one. It borders on too easy, as I had to keep holding myself back from my usual careful draws, as even these produced tons of smoke. Very nice. I decided to break it in with the highly recommended Carter Hall (easy smoking, widely used for quick break-ins) and added just a good pinch of tobacco filling only the first 1/3rd of the pipe.

Although at times I picked up a little evidence of break-in, the CH was particularly tasty in this pipe, to its credit. Very, very nice.

An excellent pipe - I'm looking forward to my mellow yellow "Scoot" and it's pearwood. To me the Brog briar of this closeout was a winner...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Dai, the briar pipe above turns out indeed to be a 90 Steward Orange and comes with a pre-blackened bowl. One very minor issue - the draw hole is just a tiny smidgeon low, but this proved to be trivial. The pipe came with a nice bag, and Mr. Brog box, and a unique 9mm filter (which I removed, as most Brog smokers do). BTW Brog too states that using the filter is optional. The bowl was 0.75" x 1.5" as assumed.

With the curved stem, didn't pass the pipe cleaner test - also trivial as the filter design does not allow a cleaner to pass anyway.

But that's just background.

Dai, as you note your Brog has an amazingly easy draw, and so does this one. It borders on too easy, as I had to keep holding myself back from my usual careful draws, as even these produced tons of smoke. Very nice. I decided to break it in with the highly recommended Carter Hall (easy smoking, widely used for quick break-ins) and added just a good pinch of tobacco filling only the first 1/3rd of the pipe.

Although at times I picked up a little evidence of break-in, the CH was particularly tasty in this pipe, to its credit. Very, very nice.

An excellent pipe - I'm looking forward to my mellow yellow "Scoot" and it's pearwood. To me the Brog briar of this closeout was a winner...
Glad to hear your first experience with a Brog is a good'un, and yes you have to take it easy on the draw, maybe packing a little tighter than usual but, don't over do it. I'm finding that each make of pipe has it's intricacies in how you pack and smoke them.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

At last... a funky Mr. Brog in pear wood...

A #52 "Scoot", finally arrived (pics below), not actually a nosewarmer, but is a shorter, beautifully bulky design, each one a little different:
  • Wood: Pear
    Length: 5.0"
    Mouthpiece length: 2.0"
    Height of bowl: 1.75"
    Width of bowl: 1.75"
    Inside bowl diameter: 0.7"
    Inside height of bowl: 1.25"

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

Although the ebay ad showed in a kind of solid bright yellow, the actual pipe still shows the grain, and looks much better. An very trivial staining error made this one available for about $19 delivered (usually $24-30). It seemed to smoke well from the get go, but to be fair I'll have to report back after a few more bowls..