Quine: More on Pussers

Now's here's the real stuff - traditional, cleans your socks on the way down. Unlike the Royal Navy, the pirates drank while eating, sailing and fighting - the first multitaskers. Here's to Port Royal, the Port of Orgies! Say it loud and say it plowed!
Quine
Cabin Boy

Post by Quine »

Happy St. Patrick's Day Captn!

Of the rums you list, I have had Mt. Gay XO. I liked that one, and I can find that and Barbancourt 8 (5 star not so easily) if you think that would be a good one. I've been looking for the Pusser's (how is the 15 year?) for a while. That's the one I most want to try...

I should give you a little context. Before I got into rums I was mostly drinking a liqueur called "Irish Mist" which is basically a blend of Irish Whiskey and honey. It isn't as sweet as most liqueurs but it is sweeter than any of the rums I have except maybe the Diplomatico R.E.

Also, the point of getting into rums was to find pairings for cigars. The cigar is the major player in the duo, the drink (what ever it is) is there to cleanse and alter the palette to enhance the flavor of the cigar. Now of course this is a very individual thing and people pair cigars with all sorts of different drinks. One of the nice things about rums is the variety (and thus effect) you have to choose from. Oddly (and remember this is for my palette) the rum that does the most enhancing for the stronger cigars I tend to smoke is the 1919!

But I do want to continue expanding my rum experience, and for that I will delve more into the unadulterated examples as I am sure there will be good pairings to find there.

Thanks
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Q...

...do give Pussers Blue Label British Navy Rum a try with cigars. It's almost as though it were made for the leaf and has the heaviness, with sufficient wood sugars and yes, esters and complexity enough to enhance even a very full bodied cigar. As a blend of (as I recall) 5 good British rums (and as the only authentic and historical example of real Navy rum, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Do yourself the favor of living with Pussers for say a week, and you may well acquire a preference for pure, full and complex rums (yes, higher ester)...
Quine
Cabin Boy

Post by Quine »

Hi Captn,

Probably the more esters the better! In any case I am on the lookout for Pusser's Blue. It is to be found mail order here and there but besides the shipping rates, they all use FedEx who just won't work with my schedule without asking for yet more money. A $30 bottle of Blue ends up costing $50. I'm on the search for a local outlet. I will find it eventually

thanks
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Not sure where you are in San Fran but Bevmo stocks Pussers. looks like it's 24.99 with card. California has great rum options, the best part about ordering online is ordering at least 6 bottles at once as shipping is fairly similar on a 6 bottle order to 1. Out here I can grab a bottle for 20.00
Quine
Cabin Boy

Post by Quine »

Yes found it at BevMo was $27 with my discount. Spoke of it here on some thread I can't recall off the top of my head. I find it has a funkiness that reminds me of cognac. Luckily I like cognac too! I'm pouring an ounce a night and the bottle is already evolving, or I'm getting used to that taste. When I go through a third of the bottle I'll let it sit for a week or two and see how it changes. It's the most recommended rum in my collection and ironically the least expensive!