Talking about VaPers...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Talking about VaPers...

Post by da'rum »

I've been waiting for my Tobacco supply to run down a bit before I opened my tin of 100% Louisiana Perique. Today was the day and I tossed around the idea of smoking a bowl of just Perique but wasn't in the mood so may do that later. What I did do was make a mix of about 70-75% HH Mature Virginia with 25-30% Perique. I really enjoyed it and am smoking my second bowl as I type. The Perique really adds spice and back flavour to a unique Virginia that the HH MV is. I have other Virginias here that I will be adding a pinch of Perique to to see which is the best. Thoroughly enjoyable for those who like VaPers
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Great experiment, look forward to more. Please do describe the Virginia you are using, as this classification of tobacco can be confusing.

For example, I always thought "Virgina" tobaccos were from, well, Virginia. Silly me. Here's what I found so far:
"Flue-cured aka "Virginia"
(40% of world tobacco production)

Flue-cured is also known as "Bright" and "Virginia" by the world trade. It is used almost entirely in cigarette blends. Some of the heavier leaves may be used in mixtures for pipe smoking. Some English cigarettes are 100% flue-cured. Flue-cured leaf is characterized by a high sugar: nitrogen ratio. This ratio is enhanced by the picking of the leaf in an advanced stage of ripeness, and by the unique curing process which allows certain chemical changes to occur in the leaf.

Cured leaves vary from lemon to orange to mahogany in color. The leaves are relatively large with the largest at midstalk. A well grown plant will be topped at a height of 39 to 51 inches with 18-22 harvestable leaves. Yields average around 2200 lbs/A with some in excess of 3000 lbs/A. The leaves are harvested as they mature from the ground up.

Flue-cured tobacco is grown in approximately 75 countries from New Zealand to Germany. Major producers in the world are: China, USA, Brazil, India and Zimbabwe. The major exporters are the U.S., Brazil, India and Zimbabwe. Flue-cured is grown in six states in the U.S. - Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. A very small amount is in Alabama."
What I seem to glean is that flue-cured are lighter and sweeter, burns very well, compared to say burley (air-cured, no sugars, dryer and richer, used in aromatics as it absorbs and extends them). But I know there's a lot more than that, do help...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Well this surprised me. ..HH Mature Virginia;

22 different tobaccos are included in this blend and of these 15 are Virginia tobaccos. Before blending the tobacco the Virginias has been stored for years to mature and develop the final aromas, just like when good wine is put aside for aging. Virginia types like bright yellow/golden leaf, mature red/mahogany leaf, dark Virginia and a Black Virginia Cavendish are blended and left to store so that each tobacco taste marry into a taste unity. To enhance and support the Virginias a touch of Oriental is added and finally the taste is rounded with just an easy hand of pressed Burley.

I did notice the dark strands in the mix and thought that it was probably a pinch of Perique.

I have some Virginia Orient here as well that I'll try that at some stage as well.

I also have some Virginia plug as well.

Whether these are stoved, flue cured or whatever I am at the moment unsure.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice post. What I've found for me is that I prefer a Virginia burley mix than a straight Virginia.

Dai, what is it you like about the mix (I'm assuming the complexity)? What's the blend you like and why, if you can say?
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Ilsted's own VA plug with 30% Perique

Post by da'rum »

So I went and did this today. I sliced off 2 grams of Va plug and mixed it with 1 gram Perique.

I had to rub the plug out to get a ribbon like structure to match my ribbon cut Perique so it would burn at the same rate.

PLUG

PERIQUE

Mixed

although this is a nice smoke I have found that at 33% Perique the VA is smothered a bit. I think VaPers are better when the Perique plays second fiddle. I'm getting faint tastes of the VA but it's not optimal. I think a 15% Perique ratio would be much better and is what I'll try on the next try.

The Perique is pepper plums, I have read others describing Perique as plum tasting but never got that myself I think now that I have a stronger Perique blend that they were correct.

Cheers.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Lovely post...

...fun to look at and some very useful observations. I don't know what it is about "plug" tobacco, but for me it brings back the idea of the olden days, for me sailors and travellers:
"The first smoke was truly a moving experience and I quickly became interested in the history of this form of smoke. Since tobacco is native to America, it is likely that the American Indians twisted tobacco into ropes. Certainly, the first documented ropes were used by sailors aboard early trade vessels which typically shipped spices, tobacco, and spirits back to Europe. Crew members would twist tobacco leaves into a rope, sometimes add some rum, and then store in leather sleeves. When ready, one would cut a plug off the rope for smoking."
How do you normally prepare rope or plug doggie turds?

http://tobaccopipecollectors.com/1/post ... bacco.html
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-sm ... e-tobacco/
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Normally I cut thin slices off them. I cut the plug slices into small squares and lightly pack them into a bowl. The rope slices are not as dense so I just fold and stuff those like a flake.

As I said I rubbed the plug out today just to match the two tobacco cuts. But plugs and flakes smoke best not rubbed out and lose some of their intensity when they are.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Lovely post...

...fun to look at and some very useful observations. I don't know what it is about "plug" tobacco, but for me it brings back the idea of the olden days, for me sailors and travellers:
"The first smoke was truly a moving experience and I quickly became interested in the history of this form of smoke. Since tobacco is native to America, it is likely that the American Indians twisted tobacco into ropes. Certainly, the first documented ropes were used by sailors aboard early trade vessels which typically shipped spices, tobacco, and spirits back to Europe. Crew members would twist tobacco leaves into a rope, sometimes add some rum, and then store in leather sleeves. When ready, one would cut a plug off the rope for smoking."
How do you normally prepare rope or plug doggie turds?

http://tobaccopipecollectors.com/1/post ... bacco.html
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-sm ... e-tobacco/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEB0lwECQmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1H_9nk4glQ

Check these out Jimbo might help. This guy is my tobacconist.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition