Trying to be too clever! POT buoy?

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
POT buoy
Landlubber

Post by POT buoy »

Yep that’s me over thinking trying to come up with a new user name and then a few days later totally forgetting what I had written down!

It was not a good start really, I looked at the other monikers and thought I need to come up with something new, different, unique,i'd be new boy and I thought of the young public house guys who used to pick up the empty glasses from drinking establishments and then trying to put a nautical theme to it. Ok not my best idea but hey ho after trying a million times to log in (ok about half a dozen) I swallowed pride and asked Capt Jimbo for help. Luckily for me he didn’t think what a total nub and let me in!!

So who am I and why do I want to register and talk, listen to other Rum enthusiasts, Connoisseurs, Distillers etc?
Well my name is Kevin Brooks Find me on Facebook, The good looking one in the wheelchair, (Accident at work many years ago now not an issue).
I’m ex Royal Marine as was my dad which is where I managed to pick up on the fact that there was fun to be had drinking! There was always someone with a hip flask at the numerous events we went to, and even as a boy I knew there was something magical about that unmistakable pungent aroma coming from the open vessel. Which for many years being navy affiliated was always Pussers rum!
Any way fast forward a good many years and I joined up with a bunch of chaps whose range age went from 30 to 94 but mainly it’s the older guys from 60-70 up who caught my eye they were all ex ships marines and without fail they would always have a tot of rum or 3 at the end of every meeting. One occasion an ex ships marine brought out a bottle of something ‘special’ a lemon hart rum he had been saving would I like a tot?
Never one to refuse a drink I accepted and was well and truly hooked.
Why? Because i had always drank Pussers rum in my hip flask and occasionally a Woods 100 proof. My favorite ‘cocktail' was Captain Morgans spiced with orange juice and lemonade. That was it. The Lemon Hart was something different i really took a liking to it. So any way one of the guys had a birthday due and I brought him a bottle of Admiral Rooneys the nautical theme was the only reason i brought it i'd never tried it. But on the site i was trawling through pages of Rums i had never seen so many i was a total newbie i'd only seen what was on offer in supermarket shelves
Then I went to a food and drink festival near my home and picked up a bottle of Clarke Court Old Grog, the local supermarket had a few specials Angostura 1919, Havana Club 7 anos and Plantation 3 stars which I purchased. Now my step son who works for Bacardi walks in see's these and says he can add some for me (best mate now)and within a week or 2 had provided me with Bacardi 8, White, Gold, Black, Elixir, Gran reserva and Rock coconut! Lucky me :D
After that for Christmas my wonderful wife presents me with RL Seales 10yo, El Dorado 15yo, Mount Gay XO, Appleton estate 12yo, Doorlys XO and a Foursquare spiced happy days!
So now I have a few shelf space became a problem wife says pop down to IKEA and pick up a shelf cabinet. (I love my wife by the way)
A few months later and with Amazon daily deals, got to love that site! I got over 50 bottles in my collection. It’s not top of the range mainly supermarket stuff and a few 50% off deals from Amazon but it’s a start.
Now I’m reading books like David Brooms Rum, and a bottle of rum a history of the world in ten cocktails. Going online and reading the distillery pages etc.
I am a sponge for info at the moment and hopefully it will last.
So trawling through various blogs I came to Captain Jimbos’ and thought there has to be a wealth of info news Dits and banter there about Rum I must try to join.

So there you have it brief about me and why I want to join in.

Looking forward to it.

Kevin. or POT buoy lol
Never steady on my legs again.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You are more than welcome here. Thanks for the lovely and self-descriptive narrative - methinks you'll fit right in here, so do please have at it...

...and carry on!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

G'day Kevin. Great intro post. Welcome to the project.
in goes your eye out