Review: Samaroli Fiji Rum 2001

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!
Who-is-this-Ron-guy?
Greaser

Review: Samaroli Fiji Rum 2001

Post by Who-is-this-Ron-guy? »

A review for Samaroli Fiji Rum 2001, 12 year old, 90 proof.
Product of Fiji Islands. Casks 8 and 3. Bottle 186 of 700.

I have written many scotch reviews but this is my first attempt at reviewing rum. As a neophyte I have sought to educate myself on proper (unadulterated) rum and have thus sought expressions that are known to be unadulterated, particularly from the indie bottlers. A relative was travelling to the southern US and I asked them to pick up a few bottles for me. I originally had my eye on BB&R bottlings but "settled" for two Samaroli rums (Fiji and Demerara) when I discovered that the BB&R bottles were not available.

I have included the review in this section after consultation about how one might classify Fiji rum. It has many similarities to the Samaroli Demerara rum, and its profile suggest a Demeraran style. I have tasted this over several sittings and alongside the Samaroli Demerara as well as Appleton's 12 and Mount Gay XO for reference.

The colour is light gold (natural colour).

The nose is very aromatic and complex, but also dry. Musty ripe tropical fruits and flowers and floral honey intermingle with light acetone and vanilla creaminess.

On the palate there is a soft and subtle arrival. It is initially sweet and dry with honey, overripe fruit, mint, and spice. The musty and acetone notes then emerge and join with the fruit in the development, along with emerging soft spices.

The finish dry and tannic, prolonged but soft and smooth. Hints of fruit, mild mint, and anise linger then dissipate rapidly leaving only drying spice with a nice tannic grip.

Overall, a very nice rum but it required some attention and acclimatization on my part. The profile changed quite significantly from when it was first opened. It was originally much more subtle but the floral and acetone notes emerged quite quickly once the rum had been opened for a few weeks. I was not overly fond of the new profile until I devoted some time to studying the rum in relatively controlled conditions. I have since come to appreciate the balance of floral, dry, and sweet. This is certainly an education for me, and a fine rum overall.

Score: 7/10