WIRSPA: Unplugged!

Bet you never thought you'd see this one on a respectable forum. But this forum is hardly respectable, and neither is rum! This section is for the forbidden: rum and religion, politics and sex. Here's to Frank Zappa and Catholic Girls!

Do you support or oppose WIRSPA's protectionist efforts?

Support
No votes
Oppose
100%
Unsure, ask me when I'm sober...
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

WIRSPA: Unplugged!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When is "true rum" untrue?

If you read "More Regulation? WIRSPA" (this section), you may have reached the conclusion that WIRSPA's efforts are simply benign. Just a pretty little website promoting "true rum" from the Caribbean, and which sport the new ACR seals of authentic age. Say it ain't so, Joe!

It ain't.

Are you a fan of Caribbean rum? Most people are. A recent survey found that eighty-five per cent of UK respondents stated they would be “more interested” in “trying rum from the Caribbean compared to rum from other parts of the world”, with 38 per cent saying they would be “a lot more interested”. I suspect an American survey would be similar. The point: rum from the Caribbean doesn't need much promotion. Rum sales confirm this.

So what's with WIRSPA and their campaign to promote "Authentic Caribbean Rum" - so called "true rum" - and their seals guaranteeing age? Is this simply an attempt to "protect" the consumer, and promote rums from the (entire) Caribbean? Has there been an outbreak of counterfeit rum from the region?

Not for a second.

When I first saw the "true rum" campaign I took it as just another pretty rum website expousing a harmless marketing claim to promote Caribbean rum. And I liked it! I had no idea something much more sinister was afoot, specifically a blatant attempt to capture and protect a market for a few "approved" companies.

WIRSPA's ultimate goal appears to be an atttempt to capture the generic terms of "Caribbean" and "rum" for a handful of their self-designated Caribbean Commonwealth countries. If successful, the fine cane juice and molasses' rums made by in the many other Caribbean islands and bordering countries will be plain SOL.

They will no longer be able to use the terms "Caribbean" and/or "rum" in promoting or labelling their products! No matter they have been doing so for more than a hundred years. This is just like the Texas company who attempted to trademark and steal "Basmati" rice from India.

Except with even less basis. The complete story of WIRSPA's continuing attempts to capture the ship of Caribbean rum is linked below. It is an amazing story...

Link to WIRSPA: Unplugged. The Rest of the Story