Talking my life in my hands

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Dai
Minor God

Talking my life in my hands

Post by Dai »

Just enjoying a nice bowl of University Flake in the Falcon. Nice slow smoking tobacco good for a nice relaxing smoke while blowing your mind on nicotine. If the wife finds out I'm smoking in doors she's going to use my balls for conkers.

Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice pic... conkers (for us naive Americans)?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Nice pic... conkers (for us naive Americans)?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... nkers.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_j4BtYGufY

check out the picture in the link it's spot on. You take it in turns to smash them into each other the first one who's conker breaks loses.

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

How is the new Brog smoking like Jimbo.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

If you're talking about my pear wood, chunky "Big Yellow" - it's really a lovely, unobstrusive pipe that allows the tobacco to shine, and whose draw as you know, is easy and nice.

Apparently these really don't need a break-in, I only got a hint of wood on the first bowl.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:If you're talking about my pear wood, chunky "Big Yellow" - it's really a lovely, unobstrusive pipe that allows the tobacco to shine, and whose draw as you know, is easy and nice.

Apparently these really don't need a break-in, I only got a hint of wood on the first bowl.
Nice to hear you're enjoying the pipe. As you know I'm a fan of Mr Brog pipes. We just need to convert da'rum and get him to become a born again Brog smoker.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ha, I may just pick up a Brog down the road sometime but I rarely smoke anything but my meer these days.
I like the notion of an affordable, practical and well built range of pipes being readily available though.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d...

I know what you mean about the meers. I was at a local (HUGE) international cigar company (Neptune), that has a small but growing pipe section. They really know their cigars, but their pipe and tobacco section is very small (though bigger than ordinary outlets) and not well chosen.

I saw some very small Turkish meers - no doubt of pressed material, but for a lousy $15, I thought well, why not? Cheep thrills, my specialty. I really didn't expect much, but this little guy turns out to be a great quick smoke, which honestly is just what I want. It also allows me to try a few comparative tobaccos in a row, as the meer I believe, doesn't really pick up any real ghosting.

FWIW my goto pipes are my smaller cobs, the meer and my straight-stemmed Falcon (though I'd love a curved stem).

. . . . . . .Image
(...the little finger meer, with the normal bowled pearwood Brog)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

For 15$ smackeroos a good and safe buy. Even if it is pressed that only means the patina will not form well. The smoking qualities of the meer stay the same. All meerlined pipes are pressed meer and they smoke fine (so I've read). As I've said before , for pure smoking quality Meerschaum as a material can't be beaten, the drilling, carving and mouthpiece quality is where they sink or swim though. Nice buy.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice looking meer jimbo. I did see pressed meer pipes somewhere but for the life of me can't remeber ( think it might be on James Brber site will have to check it out). What are the inside dimensions of the bowl, have you any idea. How long of a smoke do you get out of it.

Found the link:
https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/categori ... haum-pipes

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai it's just a tad over 15mm diameter, 26mm deep. In even rougher terms, my little finger tip doesn't quite fit to the first knuckle, so natch it's not going to hold a lot of tobacco.

Time? Hmm, a tough one. A lot depends on how I pack it, and of course some of the pressed tobaccos are dense and slow smoking. Let's say 15 to 20 min. I handle it just like any ordinary pipe, except I wash the dirt and grease off my hands first. The bowl can get a bit hot, but this cute lil pipe can easily be manipulated by the stem.

My goal was simple: I wanted to experience a meer (thanks to da'rum), but at my usual cheepskate budget. I like it. The stem fits onto a slippery translucent plastic tube that fits into the meer itself, easy on/easy off. Occasionally a light gurgle, but of no consequence. In sum this one has fulfilled all my criteria - I don't want a long smoke, and I like to experiment with different tobaccos.

Works fine.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

http://meerschaum.com/Default.aspx

These guy's seem reasonable

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

If you want a short smoke meer you could buy a meer bowl for your falcon.

AND meers have mixed reviews.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:If you want a short smoke meer you could buy a meer bowl for your falcon.

AND meers have mixed reviews.

Cheers
Got that in mind. I'm just toying with the idea for now. Ozgur are doing meer falcon bowls for £36 but it will have to wait a while just dropped £100 on rum all spent out at the moment.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

So d....

...what are those mixed reviews? I know you adore yours. How 'bout your usual qualified viewpoint of them?

Tx.