One from Column A Dept: Mixing tobaccos...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

One from Column A Dept: Mixing tobaccos...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Haven't we all done this?

It has become apparent to me that once one gets into piping, a bit of blending just seems to happen. It's like Ralfy who once recommended what he called "Rumsky", wherein he mixed a bit of MGXO (I think) with the tinies bit of a good smoky Islay. He made clear that we'd like the result, and secondly to be rather stingy with the the Islay as the smoke was potent and only a bit was needed. Blending 101.

As far as tobaccos are concerned, it's seems pretty common for pipers to blend in a little nutty Prince Albert, a straight ahead non-aromatic burley to get just a touch of nuts, possibly a little cacao and to extend another blend, and improve the burn. That does indeed work.

But sometimes the opposite's true.

Da'rum and Dai are aware that recently I had a nose opening experience with MM 965 (a match which may actually have been a bulk Dunhill 965). Recently I'd taken the time to try to help out our local cigar/pipe superstore with their tobacco selection. My reward - a free tin of Ashton's Artisan Blend - a VERY highly rated Balkan compared to Dunhill's Nitecap, but with less nicotine, more sophistication. A smooth Syrian latakia, Turkish Oriental, Perique and a dark Virginia. One source notes a bit of unflavored cavendish, or possibly a fired Kentucky.

The Aritisan Blend is full bodied, strong but balanced, a healthy dose of nicotine, but carries one of the highest ratings on Tobacco Reviews. So I couldn't wait to get home and try it. It reminded me of 965 but deeper, stronger, and a really serious Balkan. Not a daily smoke. But after doing so, I thought I'd noticed just a hint of ghosting from BCA (a very, very nice vanilla forward Sutliff bulk, lovely) and then it occured to me.

Why not try a blend just to soften the very English Artisan - so I mixed a pinch of Artisan with maybe 2/3 pinch of BCA, mixed it and let it dry for maybe 15 minutes. Then loaded my mini-meer with the new blend, topped by just a mini-pinch of leftover BCA on top - like whipped cream. The result was actually terrific. Lit up with the smooth, creamy smoking BCA, but then which smoothly transitioned into the blend of mostly Artisan but mellowed with BCA for a little bit of everything.

It was actually great! What I'd accidentally achieved was a blending of two tobaccos that I liked for very different reasons but which somehow worked well together. It was very, very nice.

Do tell your story, how you came to do your own blend and what happened, eh?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Sounds like a very nice blend. Recently bought a 25gram sample of Mac Baren vanilla cream which I like very much as an aro, might try this with Erinmore Balkan I think they will go together nicely. Similar to your aritan experiment.

I'd like to here your theought on the Ashtons Jimbo. Been thinking of trying it.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai, I'd guess that the Ashton Artisan Blend is right up your alley. I don't have a final opinion yet, but it's similar to the 965 but deeper, richer, more complex, more nicotine it is said (I didn't really notice). There's a warmth to it that's hard to describe, some call it a barbeque effect (which seems to fit).

Others point out it's not as in your face as say, Nightcap. This would put the Artisan somewhere between 965 and Nightcap. Some point out that the various components are all distinguishable and develop down the bowl, and I'd definitely agree with that. For me it started out more like a Balkan, but got deeper and smokier down the bowl. Now do I like it?

Time will tell, just had a bowl or two. I found it very pleasant and interesting, but not as enticing as the less complex 965, which I liked very much, but time will tell, as I need not tell you...

Be sure to check tobaccoreviews as there's a great number of extremely positive reviews of it. A 3.5 is quite rare, and of course you'll learn more there from some very experienced reviewers. Do let me know...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I've mentioned it before that I often mix different brands and blends together. Some very nice mixtures can be achieved that are tailored to your own individual mood and tastes.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

There is a bit of a thing on the Youtube Pipe Community about mixing and pressing tobacco into cakes. Not sure if it's worth going to all the trouble to make a home made press just to mix some tobacco.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Yep, effort vs outcome.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Talking about mixing tobacco I smoked some leftovers today and although it tasted OK it smelled awful. Now I know this isn't really mixing tobacco but we all have leftovers from time to time in a bag or jar all mixed up. The previous leftovers were quite nice and smelled OK but, this lot nah had the wife complaining like mad about the smell in the house and I even smoked it outside. Not good need to sweeten this lot up a bit.
Last edited by Dai on Wed May 20, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I'm still not ready to call it, but I've had a couple more chances to try the Artisan, and I'm really beginning to like it. Compared to the 965 it's richer and darker, definitely more complexity, and there's that Syrian barbecue and warm campfire sensation that I must admit, is very nice.

I can see like both the 965 and the Artisan equally, but for different reasons.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:I'm still not ready to call it, but I've had a couple more chances to try the Artisan, and I'm really beginning to like it. Compared to the 965 it's richer and darker, definitely more complexity, and there's that Syrian barbecue and warm campfire sensation that I must admit, is very nice.

I can see like both the 965 and the Artisan equally, but for different reasons.
I think you've just been converted to the dark side. Your transition is nearly complete a few more non aro tobaccos and it will be completed now we know what type of baccy you like we can make some recommedations. Frog Morton Cellar/Mississipi River maybe (never tried these my self but they are very popular). If still reluctant to let go of the aro's maybe a little Ennerdale Flake but be wary it will not only ghost a pipe it will down right posses it if you're not careful.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yup, I save my curved stem cob for the aro's. Or just use the meer and clean it well.