A raft of affordable Balkans? Let's see...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A raft of affordable Balkans? Let's see...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Tobaccoreviews is a real gift...

...as it is truly a great resource. If only there was a rum and spirits site like this one. Of particular note is their advanced search capability. BTW, this post thanks to Dai and his suggestion of Stokkebye's Balkan in bulk - very low priced but quite well reviewed.

With that in mind I did an advanced search for: Balkan, bulk, min. of 25 reviews, and "highly recommended". Here's what I got:
  • 4noggins - Britt's Balkan 39 ★★★★ 3.5 Balkan
    Cornell & Diehl - 062: Byzantium 27 ★★★★ 3.1 Balkan
    Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Balkan Mixture 75 ★★★★ 3.1 Balkan
    Hearth & Home - Black House (Marquee Series) 50 ★★★★ 3.6 Balkan
    Peter Stokkebye - Balkan Supreme 115 ★★★★ 3.3 Balkan
    Pipeworks & Wilke - Wilke No.010 29 ★★★★ 3.7 Balkan
I decided to look at the top four:

1. Peter Stokkebye - Black Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia. Old school, well-balanced and a "best buy" type of tobacco. Very economical.

2. Britt's Balkan from 4noggins. Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia. Very well rated and for a surprising reason - the barest touch of vanilla. I couldn't help but recall that it was just a day or two ago that I decided to add a little BCA (vanilla aro) to my new Artisan's Blend, with even a little topper of it in the bowl. I'd marvelled at the result. "The key feature for me is the addition of the vanilla topping. It combines with the Orientals to create a fairly strong floral note that really makes this blend."

3. Wilke #010. "An exotic range of orientals, including Smyrna, Davalla, Xanthi, and Shiraz are blended in perfect harmony with lemon Virginia and Latakia". You'd guess that this would be a particularly complex Balkan and you'd be right if the reviews are true. Getting a 3.7 with almost 30 reviews (by some well known reviewers) is stunning.

4. H&H Black Black House Marquee Series. Black Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia. Another stunner at 3.6 for 50 reviews. Lots of comparisons to the classic Sobranie 759, and plenty of admiration for Russ Oullette, the blender. Complex, easy smoking, with a bit more oomph (the Kentucky) was noted.

So many tobaccos, so little time - in the pursuit of both greatness, interest and value...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Bl ... ewCount=25
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Just finished the Peter Stokkebye this Jimbo, nice stuff smoked best in a cob for me. Got the most flavour out of it from a cob. Worth getting in my opinion.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition