Latakia: Syrian vs Cyprian and blending

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Latakia: Syrian vs Cyprian and blending

Post by Capn Jimbo »

From the inimitable Mr. Pease:

http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Latakia.html

Syrian:
"After the long curing process, the leaf is a deep mahogany/brown color, with a pungent, earthy, slightly sharp, smoky aroma reminiscent of driftwood campfires on the beach. Its very assertive flavor is spicy and somewhat tangy; perhaps one could even consider it tart, and it can easily dominate a blend if used in large measure, prevailing over all but the most robust Virginias. In small amounts, it mingles delicately with its cohorts; in large quantities, it tends to elect itself to high office. "
Cyprian:
"The finished product is nearly black, with a deeper, darker aroma than the Syrian counterpart. Its flavor, in comparison, presents less piquancy, and a rounder, less focused smokiness. Its notable sweetness is unlike that of a matured Virginia, or a flavored aromatic, but somewhat more sneaky, coming in to camp under cover of darkness. Though more gentle than Syrian in its nature, Cyprian Latakia can nevertheless be opaque, overwhelming more delicate tobaccos if used in very large measure. "
Blending:
"If Cyprian Latakia can be compared to a fine Vintage Port, Syrian could be likened to a dry Fino Sherry. For this reason, these two tobaccos must be handled very differently when creating a blend. Latakia of either type can be detected in a mixture in quantities as small as 3%, and by 5%, their presence is unmistakable. Beyond these small portions, they really begin to puff out their feathers.

When the amount of Cyprian leaf in a blend approaches 10%, its deep, uniquely sweet flavors come alive, and its character develops continually up to a level of about 40-50%, at which point the Latakia will overshadow just about any other tobacco in a blend".

Some examples:

Turns out my Artisan's Blend uses Syrian, while my Magnum Opus (H&H), Sutliff Blend No. 5 and My Mixture 965 use Cyprian. I did notice and mentioned that the Syrian in my Artisan bestowed a barbeque flavor, while the others were more pure smoke.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I find that the smoke from Cyprian Latakia feels drier and has me reaching for my accompanying drink for a sip more often than the Syrian does.
I think Cyprian and Kentucky match well.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Never tried anything with Syrian Latakia in it. Going to try some Artisan Blend some time soon been wanting to try it but still catching up on full tins of previous samples at the moment.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition