Yo Mama Dept: Umami in piping?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Yo Mama Dept: Umami in piping?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

No, no I'm NOT trying to invent subjects...

...in truth this actually occurred to me. Umami has been accepted for some time now as a 5th sensation for our palates in food and spirits. Affiliated with MSG at times, it's that sense of savoriness, like a good fermented dark soy sauce, or maybe chickie on the grill.

Now when I was smoking my Artisan blend with its Syrian latakia I actually had exactly the sensation - a full bodied warmth, that strongly reminded me of a good barby on the grill, lathered with a tangy barby sauce. Yum! And I was not alone, as the many top reviews (3.5) also mentioned this sensation.

Now.

I just ran across yet another of the fascinating G.L. Pease articles about the notions of terroir (which he feels exists) and yes, umami, here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/ask-g-l-p ... #more-8503

He feels that yes, latakia, dark-fired Kentucky and also Perique seem to have a bit of that "meaty" quality. I like the sensation, to me rich, dark, warm and a barby by the campfire sensatin. Very, very nice.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I'd agree with that too. I think it definitely exists.
in goes your eye out