Moi and Virginias: meh! Or not?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Moi and Virginias: meh! Or not?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Now I think we all know, or believe, that Virginias are alleged to be most difficult, yet most rewarding tobaccos to experience...

Yup, they can be hard to prepare and dry (too much or too little), pack and smoke - sipping only! But at the same time those in the know state that say an FVF is worth all the time, trouble and tribulations. Now I don't own this one, but I have a McClelland Matured No. 27, orange-red, shag cut tin of Virginia. Has the McC fermented "catsup" aroma. I took considerable time to rub it out, dry it a bit, pack it to my best ability and have had at it a few times. The result:

It's not bad, and yes, I get some of the attraction of this well-respected product. Warm and toasty, Virginia sweetness, and with very careful sipping - no burn at all. But to me, and especially sipped so elegantly, just not all that much flavor either. Yes, it's there but not THERE as a good English or Balkan. Or even a good burley kake like H&H. These latter are definitely more accessible, you don't have to be as careful, they are easier to pack and the flavor is right there. And it may account for the many who go for the VaPers/

Now could this correspond with age and a loss of sensory perception? Answer: could be. It is well known that those of us in the retired category do in fact require more intense flavors and aromas. Simple aging. But still, I don't think my palate is that bad, at least yet. So what's next?

I won't give up on Virginias just yet. I may just have to spring for a big name like the FVF and take another turn at it. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nearest I got to a straight Virginia was Best Brown Flake didn't care for it. maybe with time my tastes will change but for now I'll stick to orientals and Virgia Burley mixes with the aro thrown in for good measure.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Virginias are hit and miss for me as well. I find them best enjoyed on a still sunny day where the sweet grassiness is complimented by the air. They aren't flavour bombs but good ones are worth their weight in gold.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

There is no doubt that Virginia's are difficult...

They tend to be subtle except for possibly lighting your tongue and palate on fire. Thus a well done aro, or any of the many lat/oriental blends are easier, more obvious, not damaging and thus more enjoyable. But as you read the reviews of some of the greats like FVF, et al, it's hard not to become jealous of those who somehow really "get" the Virginias with their strict requirements for drying, packing, lighting and sipping. To rub out or not? Tight or loose? And just how dry? Ad infinitum...

But the cognoscenti who've managed to succeed at these trials seem well, just ecstatic about them. So being a bit stubborn, I took the time to rub out a MacC No. 27 Matured Virginia - not a simple task - and let it dry (per da'rum) for at least a half hour or a bit more. I then VERY carefully charred, tamped and sipped with the greatest of care. The result:

Not much.

Yes it was light, gentle and easy - a bit of fleeting flavor - but all too tempting to take a REAL puff to get some darn smoke and flavor (and a dandy burn to boot). But I was insistent on carrying this thing out to the end. So mini-sip I did, minimal smoke, minimal flavor when to my growing surprise - at about half bowl I started to get some real flavor, and then more and more, beautifully so until the very end. I began to "get" it! Good on moi!

Another factor: I specifically chose a refurbed pipe - my Savinelli "System" (Sav's answer to the Peterson system), with the specific objective of reducing burn. This pipe also had what proved to be the benefit of a tapered ("V") bowl, which apparently also concentrated the flavors.

Now mind you, I'm not even close to claiming that I am now part of the Virginia private club, but I do wish to share my experience which was really quite favorable for the very first time. The purity of this Virginia (No. 27, matured), it's toastiness, etc. became apparent and really quite nice.

And so it goes. I'd be curious if one of the pipers had at it again, for some kind of building consensus on this hard-to-appreciate tobacco...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I've not had the persistent problems that you've had with Virginias, except for the occasional bland one. The tongue bite problem isn't one that I had for too long and was not overly prevalent with Virginias. If my acidity alkaline theory is correct then I suppose Virginias would be more susceptible to an imbalance due to their sugar content.
I know you dried your tobacco out but bear with me when I say dry it more. Pinch it and if it sticks together even ever so slightly then it's not dry enough. It must be so dry that it breaks and that if you weren't careful it would break into crumbs. Only then should you pack your bowl using the three stage light medium firm push technique.

I hope you overcome this challenge and can find a Virginia that does tickle your fancy.

May the force be with you.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And may the horse be with you as well! Wlll do, thanks...