Rum Review: Berrys' Enmore 16 Year

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Berrys' Enmore Rum 16 Years (five is best)?

33%
67%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Berrys' Enmore 16 Year

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Berrys' Enmore Rum 16 Years, at 46% bottled, Versaille Single Wooden Pot Still

This will actually be a pre-review, as I've already found this rum has changed character rather dramatically in approaching the shoulders. Now let it be said that no rum - not one - should ever be judged until it's gotten a good airing and is at least down to the shoulder. This one proves that. Per Berrys' (punctuation is correct):
"A classic example of the Demerara style, powerful and rich with burnt sugar, dried fruits, vanilla and oak. This powerfully flavored Demerara rum was produced at the Diamond distillery in Georgetown using one of their traditional Versailles pot stills. The rum has a full deep fruity character, burnt sugar notes and balance from the influence of oak aging in ex bourbon barrels."
So be it. Although it matters not a whit, all Berrys' rums seem to come in a tall, slightly tapere, thick bottomed classic bottle with a nicely capped cork closure. The label is classic, calm and informational. Enough, it's the rum that counts.

The rum itself is a medium amber with a nice string of pearls necklace, very slightly cloudy (good) and sports the expected thin green edge of age. At first opening and pour I detected the rich ripe dark banana from an armslength yet. Careful and closer nosing revealed a distant but growing classic sweet tar, and cinnamon/gingery spicy tones, as well as a rather odd newly tanned leather and a host of dark fruits. As a new pour there was a very slight, deeply nosed prickle - not the least bit negative.

A classic and true Demeraran pot still profile, and one that Pusser's lovers will immediately recognize (but darker, and richer).

The palate opened exactly as expected, just as the nose, leading with that deep dark and rich banana, and really, all of the above and leading to an emerging modest leather and actual wood that still manage to belie its actual age. Overoaked old rums abound, but this is definitely not one of them. Nicely done. The mid palate is heavy, full and full-bodied, thick rich and with growing astringent heat. With time I found the palate becoming drier and notably hotter and more astringent (but in a good way), but retaining the sweet dark banana, now underneath. A nice turn of events and development.

The finish was for me, an expected sweet heat, featuring both black and white pepper, clove and the aforesaid cinnamon and ginger. Overall the development of the Berrys' Enmore 16 Year is balanced, harmonious and consistent - led by a sweet, almost syrupy deep and overripe black banana to a wonderful, almost palate clearing astringent hot leather.

Personally I simply love rums that do this: that establish an early theme, tease with the overall elements, which then appear, emerge and prevail - switching positions - but without losing any of the well integrated components.

A special note:

My second half dram tasting was VERY different, and notably more leathery, dry and astringent. It was this surprising dram that reminded me of the great importance to judge no rum before its shoulders. I'm pleased to say that must have been a form of airing, as the several drams after were much as the original. At 46% the Berrys' Enmore 16 does not demand water, but no rum - ever - should not be tasted in stages down to at least 40% (if not more), and I shall.

Rating (10 is best): not yet, you'll have to wait...

Addenda (6/27/15): Score: solid 8.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Sounds like a really excellent experience. Wish I could find a bottle around here or online. Seems to be a hard one to come by. I love pot still rums so this one sounds like its really hits the important spots. Very rare bottle indeed if I can't find one as total wine does not ship here and they are the only ones to stock this item.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Still waiting... I opened my bottle last weekend and really liked it, but I haven't really spent any time with it yet. Anxious to know what you think.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

The Enmore is a continuous still albeit a wooden one, its not a pot still.

http://demeraradistillers.com/our-heritage/the-stills
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Interestingly it seems that under the name "Enmore" other styles of rum (read: rum from other stills) has also been bottled, so this may not be the case.

From the website Barrel Aged Thoughts -

http://barrel-aged-thoughts.blogspot.fi ... illes.html

"On the back label of the BB&R and the website of Bristol Spirits Limited a pot still is mentioned as the official process of distillation. Likewise, on the label by Velier Enmore 1988 Full Proof Old Demerara 20 YO. Thanks to Velier we also know the specific style: It's M.E.A.. What's exactly behind the letters remains a mystery. In 1990 this style of rum was also sold in bulk to Europe and has brought forth some bottlings, also including a Velier. I have already presented both bottlings from Velier with this mark on BAT. Responsible for creating this style of rum was the Versailles Single Vat Still (aka Versailles Single Wooden Pot Still). According to Luca DDL is no more selling any rum made from this Still in bulk to other dealers. This means that this rum is almost one of the last rum from the Versailles still. What does the abbreviation MEA tell us? The taste is a lighter version of the style VSG. This (VSG) style was or is the "real" Versailles-style. Although both are made with the same still, but are not one and the same."
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks to JaRiMi for his usual and very informative post...

With this in mind, here's the full description on this Berry Bros. bottling:
"Finest Enmore Rum, Aged 16 Years. A classic example of the Demerarran style, powerful and rich with burnt sugar, dried fruit, vanilla and oak. Bottled in the UK.

This powerful Demerarran rum was produced at the Diamond distillery in Georgetown using one of their Versaille pot stills. The rum has a full deep fruity character, burnt sugar notes and balance from the influence of oak aging in ex bourbon barrels."
I was particularly interested at J's statement:
"According to Luca DDL is no more selling any rum made from this Still in bulk to other dealers."
Correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't Pusser's dependent on this still? JaRiMi?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

It's pretty confusing.

So I have a Silver Seal Enmore Demerara (bottled at 55%) and now I have no idea what still it might have come from! Its limited to 840 bottles.

Anyone?
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bear, et al...

Finally gave this one an "8". It's solid, nice, but not nearly as complex as I would have expected.
Nekkandor
Cabin Boy

Post by Nekkandor »

Since Mika quoted me I feel urged so say something to this topic.

First off: The last known vintage to me sold to the bulk made in the Versailles Single Vat Still was 1996. That is now 19 years ago. I have no exact date when they dropped the sold in the bulk but it does not seem to be a new decision. If Pussers really had this rum-style in their blends, then they have long ago altered the forumla. The first Pussers from this company were sold in 1980, according to their own website. If they have been indeed cut off from Versailles, then the blends have been altered a long time ago, if we are assuming that 1996 was the last vintage sold to the bulk-trade. The two pussers I do have (red and blue label) are tasting fresh and young, but I have not find any Versailles in it. I thought I was tasting a glimps of Port Mourant, but the majority are young column rums in my opinion. The pot stills are only in minor quanities present.

I have checked their website. Two wooden stills "the last of their kind" are indeed still mentioned. They are really meaning Versailles and Port Mourant it seems. Why they are still insisting on this marketing? I haven't the faintest idea, but I do believe Luca. He was right with other informations I have been given and those informations have been coming from DDL itself. I do not doubt this cut off. The only question is: when did it happen?

VSG is only further being used for the 15YO and the 21YO. No longer for all the other buyers. Why? I don't know, but I have one assumption. Look at the pictures of this still. It is in a very poor shape. Even with new wood in 2006 (according to difforsguide.com) the other parts are not in a good shape. It could be the reason to cut off everyone else. I say again: It could. Maybe there is another reason, but why are they still selling rums from Port Mourant? If there is a agenda behind this, then why have they not cut off both stills? Both stills are looking pretty "used". You said something like that yourself somewhere in this forum Capn. Maybe the demand was too low and they dropped it, but that is questionable because according to the marketing Pussers did use it and there should have been a demand.

That is all I know and what I am thinking about this. I know I was not asked, but someone pushed me gently to this topic. :wink:

Btw the link is out of order. I was forced to relocate my blog.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

It would be really nice if DDL provided some info on what they are doing with the stills that came into their hands all these years.
Wonder if there is any documentation lying that could be of help to understand what was used when and where.

Very happy that I found last week a Blackadder 1996 Enmore (VSG i think). Will update when I open this.

Is it true that Velier will not bottle any more Guyana/DDL rum?
Nekkandor
Cabin Boy

Post by Nekkandor »

AK9 wrote:Is it true that Velier will not bottle any more Guyana/DDL rum?
It is true. The partnership has been terminated.

Enjoy this Blackadder. It is one of the best Versailles (VSG) rums I do know. It has a very good maturity and is imho better than this one from Berrys (different style).

It is a shame that they are not selling such marks in a good quality and with more than 40%abv. It confuses me why they are not using their potential.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

I can't explain it as well. If they utilised their history / stills they could easily capture more markets... but they seem to be afraid to meddle with the eldorado sweet rum concept.

will they now continue where Velier has stopped or do they consider that these releases harm their main product?

Really sad that we won't see many IB bottlings of demerara.
Nekkandor
Cabin Boy

Post by Nekkandor »

AK9 wrote:I can't explain it as well. If they utilised their history / stills they could easily capture more markets... but they seem to be afraid to meddle with the eldorado sweet rum concept.

will they now continue where Velier has stopped or do they consider that these releases harm their main product?
I was optimistic up until two days ago, then I found the following pictures on facebook

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=563DDAD7

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5645717B

The 15 YO with two finishes in (get ready guys...) "Madeira Sweet Casks" and "Madeira Dry Casks".

I am almost speechless about this. If this is the continuation of Verliers work then we can assume DDL is stupid beyond measurement. I really mean what I say.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

It appears to be true. These two labels were approve by the TTB 8/7/2015. Along with other offerings. All 15 year further finished at 43%. The others include a Portuguese red wine finish, SAUTERNES CASK FINISH, WHITE PORT CASK FINISH, and RUBY PORT CASK FINISH. We await to see other offerings and hope there to be no additives of course. Other interesting recent TTB approvals are for smooth amber with a rye and bourbon cask finish on their 1990 laid down rums with avg age of 24-28 years not including further aging.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Oh my!

It's not enough that the 15 is laced with sugar, apparently ED has taken their lead from Plantation and believe that rum afficianados must simply be desperate for a quick dunk in worn out "finishing" barrels.

A number of posts revealed that although Plantation markets their finishing, neither the primary aging or finishing is really specified. Check this revealing thread:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtop ... +finishing

The "Madera Sweet" is particularly suspicious when they claim the barrels are "seasoned" with the wine. This may imply that French oak barrels get a quick fill with wine, then quickly refilled with the sugared 15. In the past the cheating involved simply adding cheap sherry to the barrel; now the addition may be disguised by this "seasoning" scheme. Note also that the labels speak to "aging" in these finishing barrels, but then fail to specify the time. Fifteen minutes?

In yet another thread the latest marketing trend of no longer hiding the cheating, but now actually advertising and bragging about it:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1848

Flat Ass Bottom Line

We all wondered what effect the outing of rum's sugaring and other adulterants would have. Now we know: unending "new" releases promoting alteration