Rum Review: Bermudez 12 Anos Aniversario

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Bermudez 12 Anos Anniversario (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
No votes
100%
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Bermudez 12 Anos Aniversario

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bermudez 12 Anos Aniversario: would you like some rum with your sugar?

This may be one of the shorter reviews and the reason is simple: there's very little to say because this likely heavily sugared rum was really quite narrow, ultra smooth and literally smothered. The bottle was an early attempt at premiumization with a phony "gold" medallion affixed to the bottle, a poorly done black and gold label featuring twelve "awards", most from around the turn of last century. Bottled at 40%, and alleged to be made in the Dominican Republic.

I will tell you that I purposely withheld the sugar testing until I'd actually tasted this rum, as I wished to NOT be influenced. My immediate reaction? Sugar and lots of it. To me it actually shows up in the nose and the sweetness dominates such that very little shows up save a very distant leather, and even more distant orange. OTOH there was notable (and excessive) VANILLA presence.

The palate was consistent but equally unremarkable. The rum was heavy and thick in the glass when swirled. Very full SMOOTH body on entry with a massive, mouthcoating honey, and not much else save a bit of leather astringency late, but a nice hot 'n sweet lip-coating clove and pepper finish. Be sure to have plenty of water at hand to clear you palate.

Bottom line: this "rum" has been assaulted by sugaring, and likely some vanilla flavoring as well, and seems completely smothered, short of a very quick but nice hot finish. Honestly, it's hard to believe there's even a rum in there somewhere. And 12 years old? Hmm.

Score (10 is best): no sipping score for what is really a liqueur.
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

Maybe they meant the sugar was 12 years old...
rockydog101
Oscar

Re: Rum Review: Bermudez 12 Anos Aniversario

Post by rockydog101 »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Bermudez 12 Anos Aniversario: would you like some rum with your sugar?

This may be one of the shorter reviews and the reason is simple: there's very little to say because this likely heavily sugared rum was really quite narrow, ultra smooth and literally smothered. The bottle was an early attempt at premiumization with a phony "gold" medallion affixed to the bottle, a poorly done black and gold label featuring twelve "awards", most from around the turn of last century. Bottled at 40%, and alleged to be made in the Dominican Republic.

I will tell you that I purposely withheld the sugar testing until I'd actually tasted this rum, as I wished to NOT be influenced. My immediate reaction? Sugar and lots of it. To me it actually shows up in the nose and the sweetness dominates such that very little shows up save a very distant leather, and even more distant orange. OTOH there was notable (and excessive) VANILLA presence.

The palate was consistent but equally unremarkable. The rum was heavy and thick in the glass when swirled. Very full SMOOTH body on entry with a massive, mouthcoating honey, and not much else save a bit of leather astringency late, but a nice hot 'n sweet lip-coating clove and pepper finish. Be sure to have plenty of water at hand to clear you palate.

Bottom line: this "rum" has been assaulted by sugaring, and likely some vanilla flavoring as well, and seems completely smothered, short of a very quick but nice hot finish. Honestly, it's hard to believe there's even a rum in there somewhere. And 12 years old? Hmm.

Score (10 is best): no sipping score for what is really a liqueur.
I don't know man..... The well validated "dick-straw" method over on the lonely wolf site gave it a 91.5!! ;)