Glenlivet Nadurra Single Malt, Speyside

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
dawsonh
Greaser

Glenlivet Nadurra Single Malt, Speyside

Post by dawsonh »

I had a chance to open this bottle of 16 year old Glenlivet Nadurra last night with a few friends. We all had experience with the 12 year old expression and were generally in approval of that "standard" Speysider.

The Nadurra is a bit pricey at $63 (TW); but relatively inexpensive for an well aged single malt. I was attracted to this particular expression by some good reviews (Ralfy and such) and by the fact that this "natural" version is non-chill filtered and has no added color. It is aged 16 years in first-filled American Oak bourbon barrels and is bottled at cask strength (55.2% for my bottle)... all good things that we look for and appreciate in honest rums.

This first tasting was very positive. The smell and taste were similar: hints of spring flowers, honey, dried fruits, vanilla and some nice toasty oak notes. There is a creamy mouth feel and I love the golden color. There is also a bit of spice and ginger that lingers. The first whiff at full strength is intense. The addition of water is needed to really taste all that is there... and she can take quite a bit of water. We all took our time and greatly enjoyed the dram. It was a rewarding and mellow ending to an already full evening of food and drink. I look forward to my next taste.

I think this is an honest and classic single malt (not a tricked-up sprit, with multiple wood dunkings; not a peat monster nor a sherry bomb.) I think many rum drinkers on this forum would enjoy this one.

Dawson