Review: Sutliff's Navigator Blend

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Sutliff's Navigator Blend

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sutliff's Navigator Blend: like a good, mild cigar...

Got this one on closeout for $5 from my tobacconist as the 50g tin promoted "all dark tobacco". To my horror when I got home and checked TR, it seemed I'd purchased yet another aromatic vanilla Cavendish. Indeed this blend received a very average 2.6 - apparently reflecting the raters' personal tastes, and/or in comparison to other vanilla based aromatics.

In truth this was very misleading, as detailed in my review there:
Moi:
"Much of what you read here seems based on one of two approaches: personal preference (which does not serve well) or the notion that this is yet another vanilla aromatic (it isn't). Yes, there's vanilla, but not so much. Instead you will find the alcohol and maduro cigar. Some call this cased rather than topped, but that is a distinction without a difference.

For actual effect, consider it a lightly topped Virginia based cavendish. If you enjoy a fine cigar you will love this blend. If you don't, you will experience a tobacco with lovely and pleasant overtones. This blend is not about nicotine, it's not about aromaticity. Don't worry about the cut or moisture; it burns perfectly. To consider this a vanilla forward cavendish is a gross error. The vanilla is there but is supportive only, and quite well and subtly done. Bravo!

Smooth and very lightly sweet, the tobacco is the show. The tin note is not particularly of vanilla, but has a deep, dark fruity tone, which carries forward. The real star is the maduro which give a real and authentic tobacco note - the star of this blend. Any of you who enjoy a fine cigar will easily appreciate this one. The poster who found a little coffee is also on the money, and I would add a bit a cacao.

Seriously, this blend is brilliant - but only if you ignore the approaches and expectations mentioned. Approach it without any preconceptions - and especially if you like fine cigars - and I doubt you'll be disappointed. Lovely and tobacco rich.

Addenda: do not mistake this for a typical, mild beyond belief vanilla cavendish. It is anything but. The rich maduro tobacco is forefront and primary - yet a nasal retrohale will feature a bit of smoothing vanilla that is otherwise far in the background. And forgive the repetiveness, but if you like a good cigar, I believe you will love this blend; if you don't it may be an entry to appreciating what cigar smokers experience and enjoy. "
Da'Rum, I know you like a good cigar, and as you know finding a decent blend featuring it - maduro in this case - is rare. Because I truly enjoy a fine cigar, Sutliff's Navigator Blend turned out to be quite well done - with dark cavendish and maduro and with just enough vanillas and some sort of distant dark fruit and alcohol to make the smoke an entirely pleasant experience.

Most vanilla cavendish aromatics are little more than a very mild vehicle for delivering vanilla. The Navigator's Blend was just the opposite - a nice, rich maduro with just a wisp of topping to add just a touch of aromaticity.

Lovely.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Sounds like a nice tobacco Jimbo.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition