Hello from Pittsburgh, Pa!

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Hello from Pittsburgh, Pa!

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Hello folks. Great site here. On your recommendation I went out and ordered some Scarlet Ibis...wow. I also have that special Bacardi on order but it hasn't come in yet.

About me....

I am 46 yrs old and a teacher in the Pittsburgh Public Schools. I fell in love with rum when I lived in Venezuela in 1992. It was there that I discovered Pampero Aniversario...it was my first *real* top shelf rum and unlike anything I had up to that point. I do not sip rum on the rocks...or anything else for that matter...I have never enjoyed my booze that way. I am a rum and coke guy with some other rum cocktails thrown in for variation.

I recently purchased a new home and my man-cave is beautiful. I was at a discount furniture store and was lucky enough to pull an $11,000 bar for a little over 1K delivered. So, of course, I have gone about stocking it. rofl

Anyway...this site is fantastic. I am sooooooo glad I found this site because I have been looking at the top shelf rum in my state store and was hesitating on pulling the trigger on some expensive (for me) stuff. There was just something about a 23yr old rum that didn't jive with what I knew about rum. You guys saved me from making a serious mistake there.

Also....there is a wonderful local distillery in Pittsburgh called Wigle. Their rye whiskey is amazing and their house made bitters are tremendous. They recently got into making a rum like drink called Landlocked. It isn't rum because it is made with honey. I havent tried it yet but will let you guys know what i think. My palate is nowhere near as refined a some of yours but will give it an honest shot from my perspective. They claim it will be like a cross between rum and brandy. Being a brandy fan, this is obviously right up my alley. At around $30 a bottle it isn't cheap.

Anyway....hello everyone and thanks for all the info so far.

Oh...one more thing....my wife is from Trinidad (Point Fortin) and I see there are some Trini's on the site. Hello to the Trinis from an adopted Trini from Pittsburgh. :)
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

Welcome to the Project :D

It pays to be informed before spending all that money on premium rum. In fact, it's becoming evident how few of the premium rums are anything other then a pre-mixed cocktail in a bottle, with all the added sugar and flavoring.

I wish I had know about the Project when I started my rum journey and especially the measured sugar in rum list has been a game changer in my purchasing process.