Worthy Park Rums?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Worthy Park Rums?

Post by edgarallanpoe »

My state store here in PA has this on sale and I was wondering if anyone had heard of or had any of this. It is on sale for 17.99 a bottle.

http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com/w ... OS_Spirits

http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com/w ... tegory_rn=
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the white. Anything from Jamaica (with the possible exception of Appleton 21, lol), and at that price... Nice!
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

i'll go with the white too :)
i loved all i tasted from Worthy Park (the white from Rum Nation and the aged one from The Rum Cask, fullproof)
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

For what it's worth, the Hamilton Jamaicans are Worthy Park. I've had the gold, and as much as I hate to say it, it's a solid rival for the likes of Smith & Cross.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

While it's possible...

...is it likely? Smith & Cross is composed of rums classified by number of esters, Plummers (150-200 esters, light and fruity), and Wedderburns (200+, deep fruity, heavy bodied and pungent), allegedly in equal proportions. Both are natural gold, with the Plummer being aged roughly 2-3 years, and the Wedderburns about 1 year.

Compare to Hamilton's Worthy Park rums. Worthy Park does produce rums classfied as:
1. Light Pot Still Rum (ester range 60 - 119)
2. Medium Pot Still Rum (ester range 120 - 239)
3. Heavy Pot Still Rum (ester range 240 - 360)
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtop ... 09&start=0

So while WP could ostensibly produce the rums, this assumes Hamilton bought the good stuff (ie the "medium" and "heavy" rums). No matter, his rums are unaged new make. Worthy Park does not yet have a market in aged rums. So as to the likelihood that that Hamilton's relatively weak (46%) very heavily colored new make compares with S&C's aged navy strength (57%) gold?

You decide. Unless you believe that good wood aging doesn't matter...

http://www.alpenz.com/images/poftfolio/ ... 114rum.htm
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

His site says the rums are a blend of light, medium and heavy rums from Worthy Park. So the heavies are in there. But so are the lights.

So only the light differs from the S+C profile, and of course the 2-3yrs aging for the plummer equivalent.
I'd still give a nod to S+C for added proof alone. I hope the Pr learned from this round of releases that his cask strength offerings sold out far before his downproofed ones. We can agree to disagree with the preacher on a bunch of issues, and yet still say he's put out some good rums with the latest round of Hamiltons. On these Jamaicans he disclosed precisely which colorants were used and the exact amounts.

If anything it's good that the distilleries are getting used to letting someone smallish buy directly from them to create a decent niche product. I bought a few of his St Lucias and a 12 case of his Demerara 151, not knowing if we'd get another shot at another LH151 attempt for years to come.

I didn't opt for the Jamaicans on this round. If he releases another round of heavy estered stuff at cask strength, I'll buy next time. It has to stand out from what's presently available for me to get on board.

On a related note, I DID stock up on the Bristol Spirits Royal Wedderburn bottling - now THAT, if you've not tried it, is some extraordinary Jamaican! Totally unique and flawlessly executed. From the sheer amount of esters involved, you figure at any moment the taste is going to turn ugly and bite, but it walks the razor's edge, finishes long and busily, and never goes wrong. Quite an achievement.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

A quick TTB search shows that there is a plummer and Wedderburn high ester blend about to be released. 10 years old tropical aged for each rum then another 2 years in France. You probably guessed by now its a new plantation rum about to be released. Their information on the bottles is very clear now about the total process and aging maybe they took a hint there. We will have to see about the sugaring now. The worst part is they have a review on the bottle 5 stars from none other than Paul Pacult...

As for Ed's Jamaican offering... Rather intense and fairly unique a must try but I question the coloring I would rather have it not colored personally. I saw no reason for the coloring other than to attempt to replace it in drinks in bars that called for dark or black rum. The rum could stand on its own as a refreshing rum lovers offering differing from much out there. However, quite hard on its own except for the most rum hardened tasters, I enjoyed it but I know many would not, lets not talk about the hangover. This attempt failed as it is still easily available after years of its small release. Next time don't cheap out and buy the aged products.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Seriously, is anyone really comparing a notably lighter ester, lower proof, heavily colored brand new make, with a higher, ester, navy strength, good wood aged gold (1 year and 3 years)? The former was designed as a mixer, period. The latter is a fine mixer that is more than sippable. A so noted by Mama, I too trust the market and the preponderance of glowing reviews for S&C. Two very different classes, rums, profiles, strengths and aging. Really? Per Dave at the Rum Gallery (a butt buddy of the Preacher):
"No wonder Hamilton blends his Black and the Gold rums with lighter rums to add softer flavor – it’s too intense for all but the heartiest rum drinkers... Craft bartenders will be the first to understand... If you like pot still funk, or dark rum in your drinks..."
. . . . . . .Image
http://www.rumgallery.com/hamilton-jama ... still.html

Look I'd hope we're all kind to animals, I understand, lol...