Review: Ashton's Artisan

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.

How do you rate Ashton's Artisan Blend (five is best)?

100%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Ashton's Artisan

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ashton's Artisan's Blend: well named...

Ashton's Artisan's Blend is described at TR as being composed of Syrian Latakia, Turkish/Oriental, Perique and Virginia and scores a dramatic 3.5, even after many, many reviews.

Its aroma is a deep smoky savory, perhaps a bit of raisin, all of which carry through. Even though many reviewers seem to present this as a "full English" and compare Artisan's to Nightcap and 965, for some reason this pipe opened - to me - with the Turkish-Oriental being the first to show up, with a nice background Virginia sweetness over a light peppery/spicy Perique background as mild seasoning. Occasional whiffs of rich and woodsy/tobacco campfire in between puffs.

Apparently most latakias are of the Cyprian variety, which differs from the savory and more sophisticated Syrian of the Artisan's. What is especially provacative about Artisan's Blend is its remarkable balance, with the Syrian latakia and Turkish/Oriental playing the major roles and trading off with one another from moment to moment, over an ever present background of the Virginia and Perique. The Artisan's Blend is not the least bit drying (as one might expect from a "full English"), but actually leaves a lovely savory aftertaste - to me its trademark.

Key words: shifting, balanced, harmonious, savory - all presented with artistic subtlety. Accordingly, I have a real problem calling this simply a "full English", but rather an experience that alternated between more Balkan with English moments. One more note is the importance of sipping and taking the time to reflect on its ever changing presentation. I would add that those who recommend a wider bowl may be right in terms of further exploring this lovely blend.

Summary: brilliant, savory, well-named blend that you should be willing to sip and spend time with, even at the cost of a few relights. Relax. Breathe. Marvel. And enjoy...

Very nice.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/253 ... sans-blend
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Still haven't got around to trying it yet.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition